What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help, my new nuc box was meant to be delivered today but they now say it'll be tomorrow, the problem is I picked a swarm up earlier and it's currently in a cardboard box with air holes, how long can they stay in the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not done it , BUT the trend on the forum is 24 hrs. plus, so don't panic and when the nuc. arrives rehome them.

Best of luck.

Tim.

Thanks was starting to panic, bloody Hermes delivery service is crap.

Thanks was starting to panic, bloody Hermes delivery service is crap.

Watch out though, they are very apt at chewing through the card. That's why I have invested in a bought swarm box!

Ah thanks Beeno.

Help, my new nuc box was meant to be delivered today but they now say it'll be tomorrow, the problem is I picked a swarm up earlier and it's currently in a cardboard box with air holes, how long can they stay in the box?

Cover the outside with a large plastic bag (bin bag type of thing) to stop the cardboard getting damp overnight. Probably too late now though!

Had a visit from the seasonal bee inspector (I.W.) What a helpful guy. No disease fortunately and we moved a frame with QC to a nuc, moved a frame with a QC to a Q- hive, and found and marked a queen.

I later hived a swarm with a laying queen which was bursting out of its nuc and united it with a Q- colony which was starting to get a bit ratty. Today I'll see if the cunning plan has worked.

Yesterday completed inspection of 3 x langs.. All doing well but cold and wet weather means growth has slowed...

Hope the better weather forecast for this week helps.

Over here day temps are still above 30celsius. Bees are on wild blackberries, white clover, lavender ( only symbolic, couple shrubs), staghorn sumac ( only symbolic, couple trees), also suspect some flowers of Tree of heaven survived previously mad weather but can't see for sure ( near me are flowerless), also could be some of honeydew from deciduous trees. Bees are filling slowly supers, honey has some light fruit taste and smell.
Lime will start flowering for about 5-7 days..

Early in the morning returned few hives from 2 week tourism..
Will have to sell some colonies to maintain others, also hardly deciding what and how..
Started preparations with colonies which will use in queen rearing..

A milestone passed!

My two ex-swarm (split) colonies both have brood!! My first queens!! One is a strong colony with big ambitions; brace comb everywhere (whoops) so gave them some space. Both as mild as pussycats relative to before. Phew.

On the debit side, the Red Queen Unseen is potentially AWOL in my strongest colony. She may be fine, but I am mighty glad to have two laying queens to give a test frame and possible unite.

My two ex-swarm (split) colonies both have brood!! My first queens!! One is a strong colony with big ambitions; brace comb everywhere (whoops) so gave them some space. Both as mild as pussycats relative to before. Phew.

On the debit side, the Red Queen Unseen is potentially AWOL in my strongest colony. She may be fine, but I am mighty glad to have two laying queens to give a test frame and possible unite.

Too early to be happy..

Looked through a hive that comprises two colonies united two weeks ago. When I consolidated the frames into one brood box they looked a little cramped so I added a shallow on top of the 14 x 12.
Blimey...have they got cranky.......Lots of pinging and millions of bees all over the tops of the frames....
Makes inspections NOT a pleasure.
I think I will re-queen this lot before they get too much for me.

I made him sit outside because he was fidgeting and not paying attention

Anything like me then he was too frightened to put his hand up and ask to go to the toilet ... just as well you chucked him out before there was a puddle on the floor !!! Being captive in any meeting is still guaranteed to initiate the bladder full response !!!!

Last edited:
Back