What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hung up a hornet trap. Moved my polyhive 3' to the NE - only 6' to go, so almost there.

Checked them quickly for fondant today, they still had some so didn't need any more - Plenty of bees flying in the sunshine about 1pm - quickly went cold though and all flying stopped - unblocked a couple of mouseguard holes with dead bees behind by poking a small twig through quietly... - so far so good (fingers crossed though after last spring!)

Why hornet trap at this time of year?

Where did you get them?
Thanks,

Hornet traps were handed out at our association meeting in December. A joint FERA RBI/Hampshire BKA project. My bees are very close to a Hampshire airfield. It is regarded as a higher risk area; a point of entry, rather like a port such as Southampton.

Hence I was given one of the traps (as seen in a recent BBKA News) To be honest, the whole of the south coast is at risk, as we are not that far from France.

Give your RBI a call. Ours was on-hand to explain what was planned as the traps were handed out. I think HBKA invested in about 260 odd, and rolled them out across all of the county associations.

Why trap now? FERA are after Asian hornet queens (they start flying about now, just as the queen bumbles do), and also to get as early a warning as possible.

Ahhh, Asian ones

hit pane++ sales for last time[for now] joined local bka start 1st march cant wait .going back to work part time tomorrow after a yr off with the big c got all clear last week

hit pane++ sales for last time[for now] joined local bka start 1st march cant wait .going back to work part time tomorrow after a yr off with the big c got all clear last week

That must be an immense relief ... all this excitement - too much. Excellent news on all fronts though !

Amazing news! Very glad for you. I hope your health gets better and better and that your bees prosper.

Hornet traps were handed out at our association meeting in December. A joint FERA RBI/Hampshire BKA project. My bees are very close to a Hampshire airfield. It is regarded as a higher risk area; a point of entry

Blinking heck! These things are big enough to use runways?

Reports of hives blown over in the area, I haven't visited mine and don't intent to until at least daylight tomorrow . I'm no hero to be venturing out in this amongst aged trees in the dark!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had severe gusts up to 80mph last night.. But being at least 50 miles from the sea and sheltered by North Wales (the Welsh are good for something at last ! :) not nearly as bad as elsewhere.

All hives OK. No evident damage on morning walk.
Greenhouse door blown 2cms open - never seen that before in thirty odd years here..

Well ,visited the apiary this morning, all okay :) I needn't have bothered as the farmers wife had checked on my hives whilst checking her poultry arks both at midnight and for the last time when red alert was demoted to Amber!
Considering the ferocity of the wind plus it veering from Southerly to due West and my part of Lancashire having an open aspect to the coast, very little damage done .Ive seen much more damage from much lighter gales in the past!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checked mine. Very lucky that I've anything left, the 'structure' to one side has been blown over and it landed directly behind the hives. Could so easily have been a direct hit but at present it is acting as a windbreak.

Never mind tapping hives, this must have been like a bomb landing behind them.

Latest posts

Back