What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one always made me laugh
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=remF2H383KM"]Twiglets advert 1990 - YouTube[/ame]

-This is a halfing of the temperature difference

ONLY if the original temperature difference was 10.

Your words were "when you want to half the temperature in the hive. Means nothing, really. No mention of halving the temperature difference.

You really do need to post correct and sensible terms and figures.

Foot notes would be good - it would make it easier to understand your posts. A further bonus might be that there would then be less of them. Measure once, cut twice syndrome. Getting it right first time is usually good, and better than back-pedalling.

hefted hive, it weighs 20kg with my luggage scales (from Range!), this is weight of brood box and super below, bees, stores and roof.

does this seem light?

Possibly.
I have a 14x12 cedar with a nadired super and a deep roof I have estimated boxes/bees and drawn frames at 23Kg.
Have you a see through crown?
If you have then look down with a torch to see what stores they have.

Actually weighed a couple of mine today, rather than hefting them. National. Single cedar BB, roof etc. My crown boards are heavier than usual as they are deep with perspex and insulation (perhaps 3kg). Both hives are hovering around the 24-25kg mark. They have sufficient stores left by the looks of things.

Possibly.
I have a 14x12 cedar with a nadired super and a deep roof I have estimated boxes/bees and drawn frames at 23Kg.
Have you a see through crown?
If you have then look down with a torch to see what stores they have.

-This is a halfing of the temperature difference

ONLY if the original temperature difference was 10.

Your words were "when you want to half the temperature in the hive. Means nothing, really. No mention of halving the temperature difference.

You really do need to post correct and sensible terms and figures.

Foot notes would be good - it would make it easier to understand your posts. A further bonus might be that there would then be less of them. Measure once, cut twice syndrome. Getting it right first time is usually good, and better than back-pedalling.

Rab you are correct, i should be more careful, because a single missing word, is a glorious opportunity for any pedant on the forum to remove half the quote, then take it out of context, and then use to belittle and attempt to cast doubt retrospectively on everything that i have posted, rather than engage in discussion and politely ask for clarification.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Snuck a peek under the "glass quilt" while the colony was semi-active with cleansing/water-gathering flights. Snug and warm, with just a trace of condensation in the corners, where you would expect and almost welcome it.

But appear to be down to 4 seams (well-spread across standard national frames) and reassurance on that score would be welcome.

Not much you can do just now.
I have one similar.
They have been stuck in one corner for ages so I'm popping a little fondant straight on top of them this morning.
I would have a poly nuc box ready to pop them into if needed in the Spring.

hefted hive, it weighs 20kg with my luggage scales (from Range!), this is weight of brood box and super below, bees, stores and roof.

does this seem light?

Yes, seems light to me. I have Nationals with same kit as you and hives weigh 28 - 34 kg. I reckon the kit weighs 20kg.

Shallow foundation ordered in anticipation (hope) of needing more than just 3 supers this year :)
14x12 also ordered ready for spring comb changes.

Love the smell when you open the box.

Thanks, Erica. I've also looked at a couple of Dave Cushman pages (on bee counting and population dynamics) and my level looks v normal. I'm doing well at letting tgem be, but hope to see pollen going in soon.

I spent the afternoon trying to catch wasps that are raiding my hives! Yes, I know it's January, but they don't seem to know they should be dead or hibernating! Found lots of bee legs and wings on the inspection floor board, and severely depleted winter stores, so it seems bees and honey are being taken to wasp nest. What to do? Any suggestions gratefully received. (Am trying to locate wasp nest)

cleared the ground around the hives; provided new stands for the nuc boxes and made ready new posts for hive stands. Took a picture of my hard work, just so I would feel better!
Gave fondant to hives i felt need a bit extra, especially as a cold spell is due next week.
Felt good to see all hives were alive, in contrast to this time last year.

Back