What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went and had a look and a listen; hum a bit quieter and the smell of ivy less intense: might be ending. Wax debris under the OMF the whole length of the hive so they're still brooding like mad it seems.

Just strapped the hives to their stands in case the weather-guessers have got it right this time........

Checked concrete blocks in place, hives are nice and heavy with all the stores in them so hopefully okay for Sunday night / Monday morning gales. It's blowing a gale here and the silly girls are still flying in large numbers as there is a large amount of Ivy around.

Topped up feeders......they are still taking invert syrup then went home to rack off two demijohns of mead.
Not strictly mead as one is flavoured with elderflower and the other with raspberries. Promising though....quite strong...hic!

I took the feeders off and put the mouse guards on. It's a nice day in Bristol, 15C, but surely it can't last.

removed feeders gave them some fondant as they seem to be losing weight atm.
strapped hives together incase we have any storms.
knowing my luck a bloody tree will fall on them lol

Checked feeders - they're still taking it down albeit a bit slower. Bees out in great number between showers bringing in pollen - one hive had bunches of bees tumbling over each other - all trying to get in at the same time why they didn't use the other 12 inches of entrance I:hairpull: don't know!
Strapped hives down - as everyone's getting their panties in a bunch about a bit of a brisk breeze forecast in the next few days I thought i'd join in the panic :biggrinjester:

I topped up feeders as they're still taking it down and I figure they know best even if they are eating me out of house and home! I then battened down the hatches tying hives to stands with baler twine (not all the hives in the photos have bees in them but i tied them all down as i didn't want empty hives taking out the full hives.

941476_10151782690019608_316587981_n.jpg

1385931_10151782690024608_455672851_n.jpg

Mine took another litre of 2:1 between last night and this afternoon ... SWMBO had found my secret sugar store and put it in the sugar pot ... didn't want to admit it was more bee food !!! So will have to head to Aldi tomorrow morning before going out for the day ... no party for the girls tonight !

Bought some aluminium tape from Wickes today ... thinking of making a Kingspan hive cozy for my hive ... rain was horizontal last night and I'm thinking that a hive cozy would protect the joint between the roof and the box ... Yeh ... I know I'm paranoid !!

Took out entrance blocks as the bees are manic - will put mouse-blocks on when it gets colder...

I'd removed a strap from a home hive to tie down one at the cathedral.

Decided to secure my own hive with those expandable straps as a temporary measure - when one of the little darlings stung me!

That's gratitude for you!

Dusty

I can't believe you are strapped for straps!
Dusty,perhaps your offertory plate should have room for straps as well as coins/notes.

Should have asked the bishop - I've heard most of them have a fair selection - some both in leather and rubber :D

Last edited:
High temps continued, bees not active much, surprisingly for me. Odd to have warm weather with sun and bees not much active. Changed two damaged boxes ( wood quality, grrr...). I could work without suit, all stick to the frame.. Again, young queen still have a brood on two frames.. Bees are more at water than on flowers..

Filtered and bottled some honey ready for the association show and tarted up my chunk honey (still removing the last of the 'floaters').
I must say that the Brynmair honey is exceptional in boquet, viscosity and flavour this year - the association apiary and Garn Cottage ones are exellent but not quite as good as the Home apiary.
The association apiary one may just scrape into the medium honey I think - it's borderline on my glasses.

Latest posts

Back