What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes military, I understand the chances are that my drones will not be the sole suiters for the young ladies, but here the only option is to drench the locality in my own drones for the probabilities to improve, it is a numbers game. The guys near this apiary are interested, especially as I will give them free queens. If it doesn't work well at least we tried. Can't continue with these Al Quedaesque terrorist bees any more. It is unpleasant constantly emptying dead bees from down my boots. Record so far was 43 stings in about 2 minutes through my coat! Ruined Christmas, but it was doing OA on a large hive.

They may just be freedom fighters AND you need to kit up better, bees shouldn't be getting down your boots in those numbers.

I have ASBO colonies but I know how to deal with them, should be part of basic training - expose all new bee-keepers to colonies that come at you in a cloud.

One more thing, if you lost 2kg in less than 48 hours and you put it down to dehydration perhaps you should see a doctor and find out what's wrong....or check you scales.

Chris

Is there a good chat on these breeding issues on this forum? I looked but didn't see one to compare with the likes of sbai? I think we all have these sorts of concern to varying degrees, be it resurrecting black bees or selecting for traits.

Yes military, I understand the chances are that my drones will not be the sole suiters for the young ladies, but here the only option is to drench the locality in my own drones for the probabilities to improve, it is a numbers game. The guys near this apiary are interested, especially as I will give them free queens. If it doesn't work well at least we tried. Can't continue with these Al Quedaesque terrorist bees any more. It is unpleasant constantly emptying dead bees from down my boots. Record so far was 43 stings in about 2 minutes through my coat! Ruined Christmas, but it was doing OA on a large hive.

Sorry to ask, have you think to restrict virgins and drones from desired colonies with q.excluder at hive entrances. And releasing them let say at 5.p.m. This way I believe your chances goes very high and not great investment ( I think some mentioned over 90% success of desired mating)?

More than happy with my method. It will work just fine.

Today I set a world record for quickest bee sting in history. After two years of trying to get bees I finally succeeded in getting two nucs today. I eagerly suited up and went about removing the mesh from the front of the box only to realise at the last moment that I had forgotten to put on my gloves. Literally the very first bee to come out stung me in my hand. My sting free beekeeping career lasted only one second but at least I'll know never to do it again

My sting free beekeeping career lasted only one second

I had my first two stings picking up the nuc from the supplier's apiary - before I'd even signed the cheque!

Today in the apiary I rubbed down and started painting the six lifts of my bargain £30.00 WBC hive and spent loads of time leaning on an empty hive watching a serious number of scout bees piling in and out of my high rise bait hive, before realising I was in the middle of a cloud of bees - there was also a serious amount of darker scout bees taking an avid interest in said empty hive (which has a few old drawn brood frames in and some frames with foundation) and a totally empty six frame nuc beside it. Fingers crossed for tomorrow - methinks a patrol of all my bait hives would be wise!!

Engaged in a bit of neighbourhood service in recent days; tree surgeons were starting work on cutting down a five hundredyears old oak inhabited by a colony about 1 metre off the ground. Sealed the colony in with netting for two days to let the tree guys get on with the work further up ;instructed tree surgeons to spray the entrance area with water several times a day as it was baking hot.
Today was crunch time ..... they cut large chunks away around the likely nest and when it was finally exposed, the bees behaved remarkably well.

Tied each comb into a National brood frame and filled a large box and a half. Left the site and returned at dusk to move the hive.

It was amazing that after two days of confinement and horrific vibrations of machinery, followed by ejection, the bees were totally focussed and non-defensive. For those living on the estate where it all happened, a great thimg to witness. They even got some honey to taste and where very happy that "their" bees had been saved.

Hope they will thrive on the farm where they were left tonight and rebuild their nest.

Apart from all that I noticed very intense scouting (hundreds) activity around four bait hives .... so hopefully some fun in the next few days ... lime blossoms are just opening.

HH: I wonder how many feral colonies there are on this island? Fascinating.

I have finally heard from "asterisks" (also Sussex way) that I can pick up a nuc on Saturday so finally a "real" as opposed to virtual beekeeper (until they abscond :-/) who can hopefully report "Installed bees" on this thread...

Thanks for the offers of bees.

Inspected my 2 colonies. Hive 2 (the split with new queen) still has no eggs or brood so took a frame of eggs from Hive 1 and put it in. They are still not really up in the super and there's a lot of nectar in the BB, so I took a drawn comb from one of the supers in Hive 1 and put that in Hive 2's super.

Hive 1 has stacks of BIAS and a super of OSR ready to come off. Realised I'd left the clearing board at home. Drove home sweltering in bee suit, grabbed the rhombus escape and pinned it to the clearing board. Drove back to apiary. Applied clearing board only to remember that over winter I hadn't done what I'd said I would do and built an eke. The rhombus escape sits proud of the rim of the clearing board by about 1/2cm so it leaves a gap. Last year my mentor was there and had a spare one in his van but he wasn't there today. Decided leaving a gap was no good and I'd have to come home and make something. Removed clearing board and rebuilt supers. Put roof back on and managed to trap a bee between index finger and palm of hand. She didn't like it and stung me smartly on the finger through my glove. By this time they were quite cross so I grabbed my stuff and beat a hasty retreat.

So I have a fat finger and still need to knock a quick eke together out of scrap wood. I'm thinking I might play the poor helpless female card and get hubby to make me one tonight :cool: it works as long as I don't do it too often ;)

Went out last night at midnight to close down a hive for transporting early this morning only to find a lot of bees were still outside with the hive humming with the night shift - as were all the other hives in the vicinity. Clearly a mixture of hot weather, (early 30's), and massive sweet chestnut flow.

Went and got my fine water spray and misted them gently in and shut the travel guard a bit smart!!

Bees safely delivered by 7.45 this am.

The good life?

Chris

So I have a fat finger and still need to knock a quick eke together out of scrap wood. I'm thinking I might play the poor helpless female card and get hubby to make me one tonight :cool: it works as long as I don't do it too often ;)

Or pop into your local suppliers and get some "Beequick"

One of my split hives was filling rapidly, despite 2 BB , just added another. :) clearly plenty food out there, but also cut about 2 hectares of hay meadow this morning, which may reduce the easiest and nearest forage a little.

Went out last night at midnight to close down a hive for transporting early this morning only to find a lot of bees were still outside with the hive humming with the night shift - as were all the other hives in the vicinity. Clearly a mixture of hot weather, (early 30's), and massive sweet chestnut flow.

Went and got my fine water spray and misted them gently in and shut the travel guard a bit smart!!

The good life?

Chris

We delivered the first one of our 'excess' colonies to their new home 7:00am yesterday morning. When we went out at about 10:30 the evening before they were still all hanging around outside - so had to wake up at 3am to go and shut them in!!!!! ****** bees!!!!

We delivered the first one of our 'excess' colonies to their new home 7:00am yesterday morning. When we went out at about 10:30 the evening before they were still all hanging around outside - so had to wake up at 3am to go and shut them in!!!!! ****** bees!!!!

Worse than teenagers eh?

The good life?

Chris

I ry to avoid delivering my bees to my orchard out apiary until about 0900 to give Mrs T time to get the bacon and eggs on :drool5: - she gets upset if i don't avail myself :D

Most fruit trees are past the blooming stage here and :D the rose bay willow herb is in flower. The Himalayan balsam is suffering from lack of moisture as is the tough old Japanese knotweed!
That'snotweed it's a good forage plant come late Summer/Autumn :)
Looked at a couple of colonies one being Queenless ,shall give it a few more days then insert a test frame !
The sumac is in bud so I shall save some seed pods to test their calming effect on bees.
VM

Went and looked at some charlock on the farm. It had bees on it so I will have to extract when it stops flowering as it is similar to OSR.

ASd a colony on Monday before a few days away. Stupidly left a super of foundation on top of a partly filled one on the AS.
Thought I might as well clear the bees out and take it off........the whole box is drawn and filling with honey!
I hope they are drawing some brood frames below.
Will look in on Saturday

Introduced my son to beekeeping

Watched 3 Queens emerge from cells in nuc box's. Bumped of an old Queen in a problem hive. Looked for eggs in a nuc that was taking in Pollen .. no eggs yet. Then added some more suppers to those colonies that needed space.

Latest posts

Back