What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dadnlad

To our great relief Q has done really well, BIAS over 5 frames and stores and pollen on the others

Well done!
....especially as you've only got the one colony. Maybe you'll consider over-wintering two hives this year, to give you a reserve?

Richard

No first inspection yet, bees fetching in predominantly yellow pollen not sure what exactly but have seen them working dandelions that have just emerged.

Hefted hives and they are going a bit light so added more fondant in anticipation of bad weather and cooler temperatures end of this week.

Wax / crystallised stores debris on floor inserts, one or two varroa visible but no accurate count made.

Will possibly do first inspection in another two weeks. Possibility that one 14 x 12 poly nuc might need a transfer to a dummied down full hive before then as they are as active as full sized hives.

A quick assessment of 6 colonies (On Sunday) showed 5 strong colonies (4-5 frames BIAS) and some with fresh nectar stores and 1 weak colony in a Poly hive.

Delivered (20 miles) and installed a 9 frame TBH nuc into a 42inch TBH. (Followered down to size)

All went well.. only 14C but calm, 4 frames of BIAS, 2 frames of honey, 2 of bees, 1 of comb only. Bees settled in with no problems - at least none when I left.

No stings.. Olbas oil helps.

Managed a look into the one outstanding hive.
Almost no stores BIAS but didn't look at how many frames. Took one empty frame out and substituted a full one. Put the Nektapoll they were half heartedly eating on top as a sludge in a rapid feeder.
Lovely sunny day. Lots of pollen going in even into the tiny colony I put in a poly nuc last week.

I drove there to start my comb change, gear in the boot, 23 degrees, perfect weather - just no key, I'd left it at home :(

Drove home swearing.

Changed brood boxes and floors on 14 hives for cleaned up ones.
Strapped 6 up for dispersal to summer sites. First 4 gone to the widflower farm this evening, 2 off to my mum's in town in the morning.
Will strap and take 4 more tomorrow evening, 2 each to local factories who are paying me for having them on site as part of their environmental responsibility !

Well done!
....especially as you've only got the one colony. Maybe you'll consider over-wintering two hives this year, to give you a reserve?

Richard

:thanks: Although for now I'm revelling in the relief that they've survived and seemingly prospering
Yes our intention is to AS at some point once they are strong enough

First time I have pulled out frames since last Autumn. One hive was Q-, one very small but some brood, and one doing really well (saw queen & lots of BIAS). So I'm back down to 2 colonies for now! Or 1 plus a tiny nuc. Finman will not be impressed! Going to make increase this Summer as too vulnerable at present.

They have plenty of stores; pollen coming in.

The Q- hive is the one that blew over a few months ago in strong winds, before I realised I needed to put enormous rocks on top & strap up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Completed 2 artificial swarms today, one Dadant and one double brood National.

I've been lucky there were open, charged, well developed queen cells in both and a sealed queen cell in one, another few days and they would have gone:hairpull:

2 Nucs with banked 2011 queens in my out apiary have also swarmed, I'm not too bothered about them and assuming a successful mating spare 2013 queens will be handy.

It never fails to surprise me how quickly a hive can go from 4 frames of brood to 8 frames and queen cells everywhere - a decent flow and a bit of good weather and chaos reigns:sos:

Strimmed an apiary (neat isn't it :paparazzi: )

The blackthorn that makes up the bulk of the hedge behind is on the cusp of flowering. Lots of willow, dandelion and the like about and pollen coming in by the bucket load. 16c.

The hive with the blue brood box is a double brood Buckfast colony that knew no bounds last season......9 frames of brood already!

Last edited:
Changed brood boxes and floors on 14 hives for cleaned up ones.
Strapped 6 up for dispersal to summer sites. First 4 gone to the widflower farm this evening, 2 off to my mum's in town in the morning.
Will strap and take 4 more tomorrow evening, 2 each to local factories who are paying me for having them on site as part of their environmental responsibility !

Interesting, what kind of factories are they?

Replaced an old solid floor with a closed OMF.

My first full season, what's the first thing I need to do. Bees are still alive but I haven't looked in yet

My first full season, what's the first thing I need to do. Bees are still alive but I haven't looked in yet

Widespread frosts expected this weekend maybe extending to the midlands End of April and it's still like February.

Try and consult a more local beekeeper on what you should be doing under the current circumstances, not what the books, or the latest BBKA news said you should be doing, nor what someone 100 miles south of you is doing.

It could be a case of carry on as you are at the moment doing what you would do over winter. No full inspection, just heft the hive to check for stores, maybe add fondant. Check on foragers to see pollen being brought in for an extended period.

Remember that it takes six weeks from an egg to a forager and we've had the coldest spring for 50 years, after the wettest 6 months for about 100 years.

Above all remember to take absolutely no notice of any advice you see on the internet :)

Latest posts

Back