What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Yesterday)Planted 30 trees from the Woodlannd Trust adjacent to the bee site on my Allotment site. Watered 420 tree saplings from the Woodland Trust on my farm Apiary site. Watched bees from all hives and nukes bringing in Pollen during the afternoon. The temperature hit 14 degrees on both sites in the sunshine.

Quick look around ,no activity from bees but plenty from WX , Brrr!
Lay away hen hadn't left me my breakfast today :(
Maybe should have left one egg to stop her from forsaking the 'nest'
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick look around ,no activity from bees but plenty from WX , Brrr!
Lay away hen hadn't left me my breakfast today :(
Maybe should have left one egg to stop her from forsaking the 'nest'
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buy a stone or pottery egg then you dont need to leave one there.

Made sure all the hive roofs are (still) on and gave extra bricks to keep them there! Luckily no casualties with branches breaking off in this crazy wind.

Took away 2 dead hives and gave some frames of honey the the 2 remaining hives.

Must clean out the 2 dead hives over the next few days, mice got is and ate some wax. I must also paint them and make a better floor for one of them (the one the mouse got in!)

Went to the shed - too cold to do anything with glue as it wouldn't go off properly, so went back indoors. SWMBO came home early from work so i decided to go out and make a start on laying the hedge at the top of the garden - well, between the top and the plot behind - can't call it the secret garden now as you'll be able to see most of the area from the back of the house :spy: (unless your eyes are bu**ered like mine:D) so will have to be a bit more creative with apiary expansion. (site number two now earmarked for expansion and I might consider using site three :D)

yesterday started making my new hive from a flat pack, my mothers day treat was to get on with this while the men made Sunday dinner heaven - little bit more done today, to cold to look at the bees, hoped they're tucked up snug.

After reading the thread about mouldy supers, I checked the seven drawn supers I'd stored dry after last season's extraction. Fortunately only one had mould, the others were as clean as when I bagged them. I put the mouldy one over a radiator to fully dry it and will rebag it today. I'll trust to the bees to clean it as some of the contributors to the other thread indicated they would. If not, I've some clean foundation to replace the bad ones with. Today I will order some more wire-free super foundation and some drone brood foundation to use in this year's integrated varroa control.

It's snowing as I write- still, not as bad as the Channel Islands- their bees must have had a shock.

No activity from my bees today, but after everyone having problems with stores and not checking them since first few days of February i popped off lid and chucked some feed in.

Bees were are at the crown board still moving and alive, hope they pull through this.

Decided to check not flying hive (via acrylic feeder and crown board) ... (its the weakest of the 4 ). They are still alive but down to the last crumbs of fondant. Put some directly on the frames. Checked the flying ones. They were all out of fondant. Now I'm all out of fondant. The 3 hives are still flying...

Only five degrees in the apiary today - not a bee out, carried on with laying the hedge, almost finished now - will have to spend most of tomorrow tidying up - could make a big bonfire (if the bees weren't there :D) probably have to hire a big chipper to get rid of most of it (the really big stuff wil go to the father in law and next door neighbour's wood burners.

Carried on making up some new boxes in readiness for spring and to replace some of my more worn boxes. Slapped a bit more fondant on one hive as well as they had emptied what I gave earlier when they were light

Can't wait for spring to come, tired of snow and winter now

Not today, but yesterday I checked one of the nucs I have and the cluster was no more than 6 inches across, I'm guessing that this is going to be too small to survive, they dont seem to be taking any fondant either.

JBM.
will have to spend most of tomorrow tidying up - could make a big bonfire (if the bees weren't there ) probably have to hire a big chipper to get rid of most of it (the really big stuff wil go to the father in law and next door neighbour's wood burners.

I've been chipping my trash and using it on top of ground cover fabric in the apiary, weed and mud free.

Tim:)

JBM.
will have to spend most of tomorrow tidying up - could make a big bonfire (if the bees weren't there ) probably have to hire a big chipper to get rid of most of it (the really big stuff wil go to the father in law and next door neighbour's wood burners.

I've been chipping my trash and using it on top of ground cover fabric in the apiary, weed and mud free.

Tim:)

My plan is to put it all around my new raspberries (when I get the chance to make room for them) I did have a mahoosive roll of terram left over from when we tidied up the graves in front of the old chapel. but some p.. dishonest git had it away from the old stables (no door on it) I also had three lidded buckets in there full of kindling for the fire - they chucked the kindling out and had those away as well - not very wise as I'd sourced the whitewash from a company some distance away so I'll recognise the buckets when I see them and then........

Latest posts

Back