What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was asked to show some beginners how nasty bees can be

so took two of them all suited and booted to my "non user freindly hive" open them up......calm as anything :rant:

well warm, new super on, midday,no wind, =not aggresive, felt like kicking the box

but they did follow 100yds :eek:

Wow that's some bees, hive one day extract 25lbs the next! ;-)

should have explained a bit better than I did !

the swarm was collected on Monday nr Norwich, hived in Great Yarmouth.
the honey was from one of my colonies @ Home in Gorleston

They are lovely,aren't they.
I have bufftails nesting in a nestbox. There was a camera in it last year and I took it out as the house is for sale..:mad:.....mine, not the bees'

I was called out to them this morning ( I'm local swarm co-ordinator for NBKA)
the garden they're in is tiny, and they have 2 very young children. so,...............I'm moving the birdbox ( with bees) to an allotment for the summer ( birdbox to be returned in autumn when bees have 'done their thing' and left the box)

I gave a helping hand to a beebuddy who has a very stroppy colony. Some history:-
Hive swarmed about 5 weeks ago, two open queen cells left, check 3 weeks ago showed queen had emerged, since then no brood of any description, aggressive following bees.
There seemed to be a lot of bees going under the hive so had a shufty and found a mini colony attached to the OMF.
We moved the colony onto a new floor and inverted the old floor. The comb was carefully removed and found to contain honey eggs larvae and sealed worker brood - HM had missed the entrance on returning from her mating flight and set up home under the hive.
We found the queen - a light tan beauty - and ran her down between the frames in the brood box then closed everything up again.
We are hoping that the colony was stroppy because they were getting a little queen pheremone wafting up through the OMF but could not find her

Amazing, never seen anything quite like it.....

.....but I have just found a Queen and brood in all stages in a super above the excluder which appears to be undamaged, temporarily wedged the super up on one edge to allow bees in and out from above until I get a chance on Friday to go through the entire hive.

Chris

Had to as 2nd hive,, inspected today and found 8 qs 1 was capped lucky queen was there . Got a sting in the bargain on arm

Hive 1: Expected to be nasty, but lovely as pie, 9 frames of brood - but not much in super.
Hive 2: National, split from hive 1. Obvious healthy queen cell.
Wive 3: 14x12 from hive 1. Removed all but 3 queen cells, otherwise very healthy.
Hive 4: Swarm collected on Bank Holiday Monday. Very calm and nice, but can't find marked queen. Will add test frame to check.

Will check out apiary tomorrow and let you know!

A mate got a telephone message yesterday morning from the chap who owns the land his bees are on; the message advised him to take a look at his hives. Worried that they had been poisoned we went to have a look at them last night. A week or so ago he had remarked that the bees were not flying as vigorously as they had been about 3-4 weeks ago and I had asked him did he think they had swarmed... We left it that he was going to do a full inspection on the first good day. After getting the telephone message he decided the inspection couldn’t wait any longer and he asked me to help go through his two hives last night.

The weather wasn't ideal and as soon as we opened the first hive we had angry bees on the go. He runs commercials and the brood box was full of bees. Frame one was full of stores, frame two a mix of stores, nectar and emerging brood. As my mate was doing the manipulation I asked him to look for eggs and larvae; none present… The first thing we both saw on frame three were several nice big capped queen cells. Frames three through eight all had capped queen cells on. Since there were no eggs or larvae present and considering their lesser activity over the past few weeks, we concluded the colony had swarmed, possibly eight days ago and may have issued a cast… We decided to split the colony to get a little increase and went back through the frames to select the queen cells we would leave in each hive. As we did that we noticed that queens had emerged from a couple of the cells as little caps were dangling from the cell bottoms. The queens may actually have emerged as we were going through the hive. I suspect that the colony could have been keeping some of these Queens shut up in their cells waiting for better weather to allow them to issue a cast but that the distraction of the inspection allowed the virgin queens to get out….. As we went back through the frames making the split it was obvious that a number of the queen cells were vacant and this had not been obvious on the first run through the brood box. Anyway, the colony was split and “excess” queen cells removed. On checking the other colony of bees it was obvious they too had swarmed. Rather than splitting it, we just left it with a couple of nice big queen cells.

As the queen cells were removed from the frames, I dropped a couple into my pocket thinking to keep them warm and that I could call with another friend on the way home and borrow an apidea…. I didn’t get quite that far. Let me explain. My full bee suit was in the wash so I was wearing a light observer smock. Knowing that I have been stung through the hat of the smock and through the arms on a few occasions I took a few precautions: baseball cap on and boiler suit worn under the smock. It wasn’t quite enough. :( Remember the queen cells that I dropped into my pocket? Well, once I had dropped them into my pocket I pulled the smock back down over the pocket and went about my business. Recently someone posted about opening a queen cell to find a dead worker sealed in it: I spotted the same thing last night and on examination it was obvious that the queen cell had been re-sealed. I also encountered live workers in recently vacated queen cells. Clearly they were taking advantage of a meal of royal jelly! By this stage some of you may be getting ahead of my narrative.

As we were working on the second hive I felt something at the back of my neck and since it had started to rain and we were under trees, I disregarded the feeling. That was a mistake. A couple of minutes later I was stung on the side of my neck. My second sting of the evening – the first was on my jaw line and received when I was lifting a crown board off the ground and my veil folded up against my jaw and allowed a bee to sting through the veil. For a while I thought I was the second person I know to have been stung by a queen – I thought she had emerged in my pocket, crawled up under the smock and stung me. The reality was a bit more mundane. When I finally got a chance to remove the smock, there were barbs and poison sacks attached to both spots where I was stung so clearly I had been stung by workers. A worker must have gone into the queen cell for a feed prior to me pocketing it and then ‘emerged’ inside my pocket only to climb up and sting me on the neck. C’est la vie!

Lessons learned? Well, I now plan to buy a second ‘spare’ bee suit and my mate has learned the hard way that you do need to carry out regular full inspections to try to manage swarming. The whole scenario is a great example of one of the precursors to swarming – a decline in activity around the hive. With the benefit of hindsight, the decline in activity corresponds with the point in time when the bees could have first swarmed.

Keep an eye on your hives folks and learn to interpret what you see, hear and smell, even before you open the hive.

Last edited:
3 primes and a very small cast. ( I did lose 1 swarm from my own hives)

Some people have more jam than hartleys.. 3 swarms and a cast lucky devil

it's advantageous to be one of the 'swarm co-ordinators' for Norfolk. I get calls from all over the place, usually I contact a beekeeper close to the swarm to collect them, some I collect them myself if I can't find a beekeeper who can/will collect them.
disadvantage is loads of calls about bumbles and mason bees ( wasps to come later in season)

Well done, Tonybloke. What a swarm.

i made up the last of my three nucs that i cut on my table saw before the bearing gave up ::(

finished them and gave the first nuc a quick coat of cuprinol when the postman delivered three new greek bred buckfast queens ( a week early)

so went up into the bath room and did the curtain trick to remove the attendants from two of the queen cages and popped up the apiary with the two un cuprinoled nucs and split some brood into then. transferred these to an out apairy

i will do ther third queen probably on saturday when the cuprinol is dry :biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

i made up the last of my three nucs that i cut on my table saw before the bearing gave up ::(

finished them and gave the first nuc a quick coat of cuprinol when the postman delivered three new greek bred buckfast queens ( a week early)

so went up into the bath room and did the curtain trick to remove the attendants from two of the queen cages and popped up the apiary with the two un cuprinoled nucs and split some brood into then. transferred these to an out apairy

i will do ther third queen probably on saturday when the cuprinol is dry :biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

I also re-Queened 6 colonies with new, Greek super bees......but I don't usually remove the attendants and haven't had a problem to date.

This is the third year I've had these Queens and I get more impressed each year.

Latest posts

Back