What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask any bee inspector if putting honey out in the open for bee's to clean up is a good idea. Takes a bit of working out why it's not the cleverest thing to be doing.

Re-queened 20 hives. Split the 2nd swarm into three nucs. Split the first swarm into two nucs.

Made up four mini nucs with mated queens to get them up and running for later on.

Made up some 10 nucs in total.

Not one sting. Excellent day at the bees, well actually two hours.

PH

Extracted another 40 pound of honey and checked nuc and split from as a week ago left a qc in each

You certainly chose a good forum name, Mr Doom and Gloom...

...fortunately in my world things tend to work out rather well and all the negative crap never happens...

....guess there may be some truth in the fact that people attract circumstances to them.

You lot crack me up, still at least you quit the crap about colonies not be able to survive varroa untreated.

Just finishing spinning out about 200kg of spring yield from my half dead bees, (not):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back to the sticky stuff.

Chris

Pride comes before a fall.

Split one very unhappy WBC into 3...14x12 BB into another WBC, and remaining BB into 2 as they had decided to swarm no matter what. Swarm cells everywhere, which were carefully pruned, 5 frames stayed in the WBC and the rest into a new national...only problem now is that I only have 1 travel box left...

You certainly chose a good forum name, Mr Doom and Gloom...

...fortunately in my world things tend to work out rather well and all the negative crap never happens...

....guess there may be some truth in the fact that people attract circumstances to them.

You lot crack me up, still at least you quit the crap about colonies not be able to survive varroa untreated.

Just finishing spinning out about 200kg of spring yield from my half dead bees, (not):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back to the sticky stuff.

Chris
Eat some of the sticky stuff it just may sweeten your nature :rofl:

John Wilkinson

It's all very well pontificating from one location.

But... the devil is in the detail. One instance cannot be generalised from.

One person may very well get away with not treating for Varroa, esp if they are lucky enough to live in a Varroa free pocket.

However try it in a Varroa hot spot and we will soon see who is talking c**p.

I suspect the person to the south of the Channel myself.

PH

One person may very well get away with not treating for Varroa, esp if they are lucky enough to live in a Varroa free pocket.

I understood that there is no such thing as a varroa free pocket in Europe, (France and UK at any rate), and the studies I posted previously proved my point about treating and not treating, no substantial difference. Poor old Darwin must be cringing in the grave, adaptation and survival of the fittest.

Here's one again just as a reminder...

http://www.apimondia.org/2009/bee-health/symposia/Honeybees%20surviving%20Varroa%20destructor%20infestations%20in%20France%20-%20LE%20CONTE%20Yves.pdf

I do agree though that it isn't the same everywhere, I manage my habitat very carefully with nature and wildlife in mind so no chemicals at all for a start, even wasps and hornets are welcome. I guess many of you don't have that degree of control available to you.

Chris

I manage my habitat very carefully with nature and wildlife in mind so no chemicals at all for a start, even wasps and hornets are welcome. I guess many of you don't have that degree of control available to you.

Chris

Now that is Cr*p 'Bruin the sore head ' touche'

VM

did an A S went through rest of my hives bit of chalk brood in two going to try beevital chalk brood myco stop. anyone had any success with this product

Moved 3 colonies to a new out apiary, expected a "boil out" as I opened them up again but they just sauntered out , had a look round, then went back in again:) It is quite windy.

Did an AS today, eventually, after HM gave us a bit of a runaround! Everything crossed now.........bee-smillie

Checked an old hive i had almost forgotten about, its overgrown by nettles, itwas a really old second hand one, no frames in it, i used to use it to store my smoker and hive tool, just floor, Brood box, CB, super and roof.
Its only got a bloody swarm in it, i have no bees on this site so looks like second gift in a week. Not a Prime like the last cut out.

Crazy Year so far !!!

My old man popped round to grandpa's for a cup of tea, and I decided to have a look at the supposedly "superceding" hive. On approaching, it did seem rather quiet with comparitively little activity. So I thought: "Oh no! I've lost a b****y swarm! However the swarm was right in front of my eyes, in a hedge behind the hive. And, after a good bit of shaking and brushing, was re-hived in a nat.

Yippee!!! :party::party::party::party:

Nice break from the hectic exam build up...

Ben P

checked a large swarm picked up a week ago, no trace Q or eggs, checked another no Q or eggs , checked a 21 day caste no Q or egs

hmmmm could the swarms be large castes, put in frames of eggs, let see, the caste well leave it, it is too small to keep a 14x12 frame warm

check a Q- as of very calm bees and they followed me across the field, hope the virgin mates soon!!!!

collected a small cast yesterday afternoon ( public service more than I want the bees) I'll hive them in a little while into a nuc with a frame feeder to see what happens.

Took the opportunity after the "local" BKA apiary visit was cancelled to tidy up on the last two inspections of the week. Bees all at home expecting thunder it seems. Found and marked (finally) the 2010 queen in a colony now under three supers and tried to fathom the adjacent grumpy hive who had spirited up two capped cells and lot of lazy bees in a week. Box with too much stores and an undrawn super. Expect Q- and left with a cell. Took a commercial capped frame for the house and gave them a couple of frames of undrawn. Other cell protected and put elsewhere to try and draw an invisible scrub Q laying terribly in the weakest colony. Hoping if it comes near to hatching she'll pipe and I'll have her finally and can requeen (but not with the cell that's in there)...wishful thinking I expect.

Took two stings to different joints of the same middle finger in anger. Any other finger would have been better.

Latest posts

Back