What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most certainly drop within a week. I only got a few mites dropping in the second week

Most certainly drop within a week. I only got a few mites dropping in the second week

Most certainly not.

Within 4 weeks.
And in winter they drop into empty combs. Then during spring bees clean the cells and long time ago died mites drop.

I have verified this from several beekeepers, that Cushman's graph is right.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/oxalic.html

But if they drop in one week or two, what hurry you have?

Last edited:
But if they drop in one week or two, what hurry you have?

Because at post 19720 the poster thought that if he monitored soon after vaping he would be registering a " natural" mite drop. I just pointed out that they would continue to drop as a result of OA for some time after.

Last few days, since they announce new snowfall and prolongued minus I cleared in front of hives. Couple of bees went out and make a round, I believe some won't return.

Attachments

• Picture 237.jpg
    Picture 237.jpg
    369 KB
  • Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    296.4 KB
We went to our out apiary today to start moving the hives about 50 metres as the owner had rented the land to graze horses in there, when we got there the bloody horses were all ready in the field! They had knocked 3 of the hives, two completely over - luckily one of the two was a queen castle with a screwed on floor, so there were no gaps on that one, the other one was still strapped to the stand but with everything twisted and gaps everywhere. We moved all the poly nucs (5) first as these are more vulnerable than the other hives. I had to then lift the hive that was completely on its side, well to say the bees were not well pleased was an understatement, took a number of stings in putting their home back together (ungrateful buggers). The other 8 hives are well strapped to double stands so these will be moved on the weekend.
Use the magic twigs method over the entrances and let them free, only a few bees can out to see what was going on.

We went to our out apiary today to start moving the hives about 50 metres as the owner had rented the land to graze horses in there, when we got there the bloody horses were all ready in the field! They had knocked 3 of the hives, two completely over - luckily one of the two was a queen castle with a screwed on floor, so there were no gaps on that one, the other one was still strapped to the stand but with everything twisted and gaps everywhere. We moved all the poly nucs (5) first as these are more vulnerable than the other hives. I had to then lift the hive that was completely on its side, well to say the bees were not well pleased was an understatement, took a number of stings in putting their home back together (ungrateful buggers). The other 8 hives are well strapped to double stands so these will be moved on the weekend.
Use the magic twigs method over the entrances and let them free, only a few bees can out to see what was going on.

:( Sounds like time to find a new site altogether.

Poor you!. You cant have bees and horses in the same field as you know, its likely to give you endless grief. If they wont let you fence an area off around them, then just leave and dont pay any rent. they should have at the least informed you or asked you before mixing two types of livestock in the same field

Last edited:
Perhaps so! I don't think it was the owners fault, the horses broke through a fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They should not have been allowed to break through the fence, what would have happened if they broke through onto a 60mph rural road ? , the owner holds full responsibility for there fencing.
Like Swarm (Steve) said it is time to look for new land with more considerate people, i would have hit the roof and been flung of that place if it was my hive/hives.

I have a donkey on one of my sites,which did give me a bit of agro until i put up electric wire.problem solved.Too good an apiary to give up,so more than worth it.The donkey did touch it once,but only once,did it go!!

Frame assembly is my daily routine. I try to do 40 minutes of assembly work each day. That usually gets 14 frames complete, glued, nailed, and checked to be square. Today I set up the table saw and cut a few bottom bars. The bees have been flying just about every day for the last 2 weeks as temperatures here have moderated. I saw them out quite a bit today between rain showers.

Last night was -17C. Tomorrow I plan go up the hill to bees.. Snow above knees, I think I will be wet " a bit". Hives are tucked in the snow. One ordinary winter..

Last night was -17C. Tomorrow I plan go up the hill to bees.. Snow above knees, I think I will be wet " a bit". Hives are tucked in the snow. One ordinary winter..

Your 10 degrees colder still Goran. I am enjoying this cold spell, but I think its cold enough for us here. Minus 7 here this morning. My bees are not used to this here> colder still tonight then supposed to be warming up after that a little.
The snow will help you. It keeps them well insulated.
Today Ive closed off all my OM floors, as its breezy and i dont like the idea of blasted frozen air around clusters. Cant be good for them!! their doing great, but i want it to stay like that.
I am so glad insulated properly this winter. If i went on last years minimum temp model, I would be without bees this spring, i think!
send some pics of the snow, their always lovely to see. we havent had a drop yet, just huge high pressure cold. Nice and sunny though!!

This is one of the wettest and mildest winters I can ever remember. Bees were flying again today - 20th January - crazy. Fondant is already on all hives - earliest ever - I reckon they'll be needing it too.
LJ

Latest posts

Back