What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't really have any problems with it, even when there are a lot of bees in the feed section, they rise to the top with the syrup, get cleaned up and carry on, sometimes a few may drown, but more often none do.

That makes 2 of us. I'm always hearing of mass drowning and modding to 8 frame nucs or blocking of the feeders. A handful of sand in the 2nd coat of paint and I have no problems at all. Fed a bunch of mine today as theyd lost a surprising amount of weight in the last 3 weeks or so, still.crazy busy and lots of pollen coming in.

A handful of sand in the 2nd coat of paint and I have no problems at all.

Now THAT is seriously useful. Thank you

Fed a bunch of mine today as theyd lost a surprising amount of weight in the last 3 weeks or so, still.crazy busy and lots of pollen coming in.

Yes; mine are the same.

Topped up some feeders...again. Bees still flying and bringing in pollen. It's definitely getting colder...brrrr.

Had a quick look round. Bees very active with lots of pollen going in. From the cappings on the slabs under the hive, lots of brood and stores been uncapped.

They are still flying strongly (ivy and gorse mainly) and they are losing weight, despite still taking feed down...:hairpull: Am I doing something wrong???

I'm going to weigh the hives again.
I suspect they are dropping in weight and at this rate I might have to pop on some fondant after Christmas.

One double brood colony has dropped 120 mites in 5 days and a lot of the mites were still alive.....yuk!!!! So I'll have to get the vaporiser out again

I'm going to weigh the hives again.
I suspect they are dropping in weight and at this rate I might have to pop on some fondant after Christmas.

One double brood colony has dropped 120 mites in 5 days and a lot of the mites were still alive.....yuk!!!! So I'll have to get the vaporiser out again

I restarted feeding two weeks ago after finding two hives were light.

I am about to stop tomorrow as we are forecast frost which will curtail bees taking syrup.

If they are light post Christmas, fondant jobbie.

Well job done this morning.
Vaped that one hive.....it's strange...the others all seem OK as far as natural mite drop goes....I know, I know not accurate. Lot of immature mites after having a proper look and whole brood cappings so they are obviously tossing the varroa out. (this lot are a combine with a colony that had the biggest varroa drop post an earlier treatment and one headed by one of the Sussex queens)
All weighed all OK, three so heavy I don't know where they are putting, it one slightly lighter than a month ago.

Stunning weather here. Of 12 colonies, two were in full flow, with congestion at the entrance, two looked like deadouts at the entrance (but weren't) and the rest flying a bit. Will keep an eye on the active ones, nucs 2 and 5 for promotion next year; may move one to a new out apiary and replace a blue Q with the other.

Still drones in a couple of mine

Careful Dani, you'll have the village eejit on telling you that there's a virgin queen trying to supersede a DLQ in a hive full of laying workers and each one of your colonies are doomed....................................

Attachments

• John_Laurie_Dads_Army.jpg
    John_Laurie_Dads_Army.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 6
Not in the apiary. Neighbour (who is a beekeeper) was winding the other neighbour up suggesting that it was a swarm on the ivy all over her shed.

Picked a flower from the ivy and explained what they were after to the nice neighbour.

Don't know whether to assume the beekeeper neighbour just really doesn't know the difference between a swarm and bees on ivy or was being nasty.

Careful Dani, you'll have the village eejit on telling you that there's a virgin queen trying to supersede a DLQ in a hive full of laying workers and each one of your colonies are doomed....................................

Yes. We're all doomed, Emyr.
Perhaps I should look in?

Yes. We're all doomed, Emyr.
Perhaps I should look in?

Wait until a really cold day then give yourself at least an hour so you can give each frame a five minute examination.
While you're at it give them a dose of apiguard before following up with a couple of MAQS strips before vaping.
Don't forget your hoover in case there's any queen wasps around :D

Wait until a really cold day then give yourself at least an hour so you can give each frame a five minute examination.
While you're at it give them a dose of apiguard before following up with a couple of MAQS strips before vaping.

You read too many comics?

How about a bit of brood destruction. Save me doing it on Christmas 🎄

Latest posts

Back