What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moved hives first thing this morning.sweating.
Sorted one apiary.dripping.
Did another site and felt like I had been swimming in my beekeeping suit.
Glad to get back for a bath

It is a Horntail/wood wasp, sometimes called a Larch wasp, and it is not a stinger but an ovipositor, which is for laying eggs into the timber, see a lot of them during saw milling operations.

Yes you are right...I found out after I posted! Still scary though!

Last night swarm is taking in pollen so maybe they will stay. 3 seams of bees only.
Today and tomorrow, good mating days :)
The bait hive that they were investigating is still mobbed by bees though

Test frame in one hive. Brood frames filling with nectar and no brood/eggs /queen.

Three weeks ago I had 4 full supers. I extracted none.
On Saturday the appalling weather of the prior three weeks meant I had 3/4 full super.

Today after two good day - lime I think and 26C today - I appear to have at least three very heavy supers.

Isn't beekeeping boringly predictable? :icon_204-2:

Colonies close to starvation a week ago working a massive flow today. Loads of forage available. I could smell the nectar in the apiary going in. Strongest flow I have known in along time.:sunning:

Colonies close to starvation a week ago working a massive flow today. Loads of forage available. I could smell the nectar in the apiary going in. Strongest flow I have known in along time.:sunning:
:hurray: the weather has finally shaped up , too warm for the pooch though.

girls in and out like heathrow airport, best day for them yet with tomorrow looking better.
cup spotted on one last inspection 4 days ago so will take opportunity to have a quick check up :)

Bees assaulting the large Hebe bush in garden like it's going out of fashion. Sadly not my bees! Mine though equally busy - blackberry in abundance.

Bees have been flat out today, they have been working well the last few days and there is a lovely smell of honey coming from the hives.

Exact same going on here,long may it last!

bees still going full pelt at 2000 this evening.
Shook out the failed nucs this morning then checked over a few other colonies - absent mindedly left a frame of foundation on top of a hive roof for a minute, turned around to see bare frame and a pool of wax!!
Sat chatting to SWMBO in the garden after she came home from worked and wondered why there was still a load of bees in the top corner where I shook all the nucs out - had a look to find a pile of bees on the path and in their middle was the queen I'd failed to find earlier - she's now chilling out in the washhouse :D

Sounds a bit like mine - 3 weeks ago I had chucked fondant on 3 of mine, now they're going great guns chucking nectar in any available cell - presumably they'll move it out of the brood area into the supers overnight!!!

What is this please?
328cfda95a18e7009ce4429422e46de5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked my 3 nucs with new queens hatched 2 weeks ago and all laying nicely what a result. Thought I might get one out of three. Hopefully they all build up nicely for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stood & watched them in awe at their industriousness - the weather is terrific and they're pouring out & back in, floods of bees, presumably gathering all kinds of goodies. I think I had better check that there's room in the supers later - thank goodness for poly crownboards.

Girls going like the clappers in both hives. Falling over each other to get in and out of the entrances.

Just about every colour of pollen you can think of coming in. Ghost bee numbers getting larger by the day as the balsam keeps bursting open a bit more each day. We must have acres and acres of the stuff within easy flying distance.

Thank the lord for the council not giving a crap about doing anything about it!

A bit of a problem with my Apideas. These girls are ready for insemination but the semen was shipped from The Netherlands today. They're attracting a bit of attention from workers belonging to other colonies.

Attachments

• DSC_0024 (2).jpg
    DSC_0024 (2).jpg
    672.8 KB · Views: 31
Was away with work for five days so opened them up today and was impressed, these girls have been busy. Gave them all an extra super and long may this nice weather continue. Going away again in two weeks time so will have to monitor them wether to add another super or not, as the Himalayan balsam will produce a fair bit of honey if the weather is good.

Latest posts

Back