What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too hot for bee bothering today apart from adding my last super to a colony trying to fill its existing super.
Ordered more supers and Ritecell

Looks like Lathyrus latifolius, Everlasting Pea. Comes up every year. OK for bumbles, but don't think honeybees bother with it.

What is this please?
328cfda95a18e7009ce4429422e46de5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Lathyrus latifolius, Everlasting Pea. Comes up every year. OK for bumbles, but don't think honeybees bother with it.

The day started by me making 30 supers frames complete wax, a good way to pass the time waiting for SBI to call. Then the phone goes, there's a swarm of bees local to me about a mile away, the caller say's they are clustering in a small bush, so I thought this is the job for my newly constructed 'Bee Vac'. Well off I go to collect the swarm, when I get there they are 15' up a tree, no way was 'Bee Vac' going to reach! Back home to get my other swarm catcher. Bees safely hived and I left them there so they all could go in.

Off home where the SBI was waiting with my brother, home apiary given a clean bill of health and off to the out apiary. All given another clean bill of health. We finished inspecting the hives and added supers to those that needed it. Back down to pick up the now fully housed swarm, take it up my brothers for him to take to the out apiary! Back home to add a few supers to two hives, they are just pilling the honey in (at last). All this in 30 degree's heat. Who said bee keeping was fun! lol

Just peeked in under the roof of a couple of hives - despite the enthusiasm of the last few days, there doesn't appear to be anything more in the supers! And the rain is due to return tonight.

" Cloake board" out..
Garden full of vegetables, also first apples and plums, cantaloupes, watermelons. Summer..
Can't keep up eating as much is ripening.. :drool5:

Attachments

• cloake.jpg
    cloake.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 30
  • j.jpg
    j.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 33
Back from holidays. Bees in my garden been left to their own devices since 1 July (18 days). Was worried that my very prolific queen would have swarmed. All three supers completely jammed full and getting the hive rebuilt a bit like squeezing a quart into a pint pot. Much smoke needed purely to clear the top bars. Within seconds they are back on them. However queenie present and laying. Removed 6 super frames thick with capped honey and put foundation in. Am now out of drawn combs. Need to build more frames pronto - and extract some full ones. Other large garden hive - superbee- a newer colony - got very arsey so quit after pulling a few frames and seeing eggs. They need a fourth super too. Left last garden hive uninspected as arsey superbees still riled up after an hour of waiting so can't get near. However they managed to attack me as I walked to the car without my suit and stung my scalp. Now got lovely smooth wrinkle free forehead! drive 7 miles to field apiary. Looked in three hives out of 10. Propolis melted into what looks and feels like evostick. Fingers of gloves glued together. Too hot to do anymore. Car parked right by hives tells me it's 38C. No wonder it's too bloody hot! I left Venice last week as it was too hot for comfort and that was 36C. Can really sympathise with Goran when he complains about heat whist beekeeping.
Hoping today is cooler as have to don Beesuit to populate my queen castle ready for a frame of eggs from our breeder queen - who has been mighty busy laying up huge frames of brood.

Last edited:
superbee- a newer colony - got very arsey so quit after pulling a few frames and seeing eggs. They need a fourth super too. Left last garden hive uninspected as arsey superbees still riled up after an hour of waiting so can't get near. However they managed to attack me as I walked to the car without my suit and stung my scalp. Now got lovely smooth wrinkle free forehead! drive 7 miles to field apiary.

It could be reincarnation, maybe you should mark the queen GREEN!!!!!!

:sorry:

P.S. my wife is very interested in the "free face lift". :D

Last edited:
It could be reincarnation, maybe you should mark the queen GREEN!!!!!!

:sorry:

P.S. my wife is very interested in the "free face lift". :D

Let's not go there... But funnily enough the hive is on the exact spot where mean green lived! As for the free face lift - I'm worried the whole neighbourhood will get one just walking past my hedge as the bees are on the other side. Think I'm going to have to take the whole hive -it's blinking huge! - to my farm apiary.

the hive is on the exact spot where mean green lived! As for the free face lift - I'm worried the whole neighbourhood will get one just walking past my hedge as the bees are on the other side. Think I'm going to have to take the whole hive -it's blinking huge! - to my farm apiary.
de javu?
It has to be that spot Obee1. If I were you, I'd move the hive stand! ;-)

Marked 3 queens in the 5 frame nucs,all laying well but a bit short of stores so added feed frames,only 2 more queens to locate and mark now
6 frame polys queen has just started laying but because they have filled up all the space I've added a super of drawn frames to it

I have 2 instrumentally inseminated NL line carnica and some micropipettes of drone semen coming from the Netherlands. I have been tracking their progress as the package travels to this country.
At 23:23 last night they were marked as "Sent to country of destination". Since then....nothing! Does it really take 15hours for a plane to fly from the Netherlands?
Come on Royal Mail. Get your act together!

I have 2 instrumentally inseminated NL line carnica and some micropipettes of drone semen coming from the Netherlands. I have been tracking their progress as the package travels to this country.
At 23:23 last night they were marked as "Sent to country of destination". Since then....nothing! Does it really take 15hours for a plane to fly from the Netherlands?
Come on Royal Mail. Get your act together!

You wait until post Brexit when it all has to go through PPD in the Midlands.

Latest posts

Back