What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice laying pattern Goran :)

Thanks. I released " grandma" of these from jenter yesterday.. Laid 100%. But for whole week I am on antibiotics and few times on painkillers and on feet.. I don't know will I be able all to finish properly.. Today I was exhausted at work, had to rest from bees today..
I like this line due its calmness and such industrious colonies. But as open mated always new situations. Due other obligations I can't devote time for bees as much I would like. I make lapses of which I am aware and accept as they are, trying to don't make big ones..

I am sorry to hear that you're unwell. Is there anyone to help you?

My wife isn't into it, so I would have to go also and again seems faster to do than to explain what to do.. As beekeeping is my " passion", I try not to burden rest of the family with serious beekeeping operations. But they do help a lot with extraction, and some other such assistance off the colonies..

Got a swarm call!

The guy was totally convinced they were honey bees despite my advice being to the contrary. He was so adamant that I took a trip down there, knowing in my mind what I would find when I arrived.

I was right, they were of course...........?

Got a swarm call!

The guy was totally convinced they were honey bees despite my advice being to the contrary. He was so adamant that I took a trip down there, knowing in my mind what I would find when I arrived.

Which is why I have a £20 callout fee.

Got a swarm call!

Tree Bumbles?

Went through the hives today, no probs. Back to kitchen for a tea, removed 'marigolds' rubbed an itchy finger and squeezed the venom sac that had remained attached to my finger after being pulled through the glove, no pain prior to my rubbing it!!

Slipped down to the town to negotiate a new honey supply with the one remaining butcher as mine has been forced to shut up shop; you know the saying: life's a bitch - and then you marry one (well, divorced now - should have listened to his mother!) as he's been inundated with calls asking if he sells Brynmair honey. Deal done then up to Carreg to check which supers to prepare for extraction Monday.
Nope, perhaps I should get in with the refractometer

Of the uncapped supers I tested today all but one came out at between 16 and 18% the one which I had no intention taking off as they haven't long started filling it came out at 19

Last edited:
35lbs, good going there, most beekeepers local to me are struggling to hit 10lbs, I got 7lbs myself from osr, happy with that as it was a small nuc in april. the other hive didnt produce anything other than what they ate, (its been re queened tomorrow), what end of the country are you in was it osr they were feeding on.

Got home 10pm added 4 frames foundation to new residents of blackthorn bait hive
Extracted the two supers for a 35 pound haul.Just finished jarring it up(it can settle in the jars).Have orders of 30 jars for tomorrow,they've been waiting in the wings having been told by doctors to find a local beekeeper with honey to aid the fight against hay fever
Another 2 hives supers to be cleared tomorrow
A beer never tasted so good

Hi Meath
I'm in tyrrellspass,just outside mullingar
I've another 30/40lb to take off Monday from the other two hives so it's been good this year
Suppose dandelion was good but the main flow came from blackthorn sycamore and whatever else they could locate
Hives very slow the last few days so hoping clover kicks in soon to keep them going until bramble and rag worth time though I've a load of lime trees 100m from my hives and if weather comes right we will be very happy
No osr close to me

Empty QC

Checked two parent colonies from artificial swarms carried out same week in May to see if they had raised new queens. I had left one QC in each.

One hive with nice fat laying queen which I marked. Happy.

Other QC unopened. Checked records - should have emerged three weeks ago. Opened it up - empty! Heard this happened but a first for me. Put a test frame of eggs in to be absolutely certain but all signs are Q- (no polished cells, comb back-filled with honey, no other QC left for Qs to emerge from).

Expecting to unite with colony with new queen, after checking test frame, but will prob wait until I see a good laying pattern from her.

Remarked my one remaining Buckie...last year's spot almost unspottable.
I pinched a frame of brood from them to put a new queen into a two frame nuc. All looks OK through the top tonight.
Horribly sticky hot day, I've got a cold. It's going to my chest like it always does. I'm running a fever and I nearly passed out after dealing with the new nuc. If I was a man I would have man flu. I'm really grumpy. I should be at Karol's talk but I'm watching the TT on the tele instead.

Remarked my one remaining Buckie...last year's spot almost unspottable.
I pinched a frame of brood from them to put a new queen into a two frame nuc. All looks OK through the top tonight.
Horribly sticky hot day, I've got a cold. It's going to my chest like it always does. I'm running a fever and I nearly passed out after dealing with the new nuc. If I was a man I would have man flu. I'm really grumpy. I should be at Karol's talk but I'm watching the TT on the tele instead.

I should have been there too!! didn't get the reminder and totally forgot to check last weekend when it was.
To be honest, didn't come in from the workshop/garden until gone seven earthing up my spuds and hoeing the onions as well as giving the first coat to a batch of floors.

Last edited:
Two fewer hecklers then ;)

:D I'm gutted, was looking forward to meeting Karol.
This cold thing seems to be doing the rounds - Swmbo felt as rough as a badger's backside after coming back from America, I've had it since Sunday, not too bad just feeling absolutely drained with a sore throat and a chesty cough.

Curse that annoying hidden queen cell that I didn't spot last weekend!
Today I duly collected a swarm from the immediate neighbours garden. Ho-hum! Luckily they were very sympathetic and delighted with the gift of a jar of honey.
That's now 7 virgins in total waiting to be successfully mated accross my 2 apiaries. Fingers crossed for continued good weather here.

Hope you are feeling better soon E. My eldest was off school today with similar, lots of it around.

I went to my farm apiary for a quick check on my new superbees to see if they are laying... They're not. :(
Pottered round doing a few things and before I knew it two hours had passed. It was so hot I thought I was going to pass out. So many bees around my veil I couldn't take it off so resorted to spraying cold (well actually more like warm) water on my face and drinking warm water through the veil. When I got back to the van and looked in the mirror my face was bright red.
Too hot and humid for beekeeping :(

Latest posts

Back