What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 colonies less. Were from 8 frames of brood and more ( queens didn't wait me and layed central frames below)..
Honey is pouring from the combs, strong smell of wild cherry.. Bees agrresive..
Tomorrow 4 more will go..

Found QCs with eggs, so will be keeping an eye on them....

Oooeeer!
You are not so far from me....yikes...I hope mine are not making queen cells. What are you going to do?

Found QCs with eggs, so will be keeping an eye on them....

Hi bontbee,
Thanks for the headsup. Two of my colonies are stronger than I have ever had this time of the year. Lots of brood and bees. Capped drone brood is a first too. Yep, put supers on these two hives for room to store nectar and for the new batch of bees. Stopped feeding too as stores level adequate and they are definitely bringing something in apart from masses of pollen.
Lots of trees in bloom, so I am hopeful of some spring honey for my customers as I am nearly out!

Perhaps you should put a pollen trap on ;)

...and add a few strips of wax for them to build comb on...you can never have enough comb.
After a few nice sunny days but cold ...we are back to lashing rain again.

Second coat of paint for my swienty ....my dad's made me a nice swarm trap box I will put on his garage roof....so changeable here and no bees out

Hi bontbee,
Thanks for the headsup. Two of my colonies are stronger than I have ever had this time of the year. Lots of brood and bees. Capped drone brood is a first too. Yep, put supers on these two hives for room to store nectar and for the new batch of bees. Stopped feeding too as stores level adequate and they are definitely bringing something in apart from masses of pollen.
Lots of trees in bloom, so I am hopeful of some spring honey for my customers as I am nearly out!

Funny I'm about 2 weeks behind last year, with smallish colonies (but not worried). Heat Island is definitely off its game this year.

I thought keeping bees turned you into a weather watch nerd. Apparently not every body. ��

Apparently, I become a danger to traffic during the beekeeping season. My wife says I have my eyes on whats in flower in the hedgerows/fields/etc instead of on the road :eek:

Apparently, I become a danger to traffic during the beekeeping season. My wife says I have my eyes on whats in flower in the hedgerows/fields/etc instead of on the road :eek:
I'm glad it's not just me....always eyeing up hedgerows and verges down my way thinking 'that will be good for my bees....even when the hedgerow is far too far away for them to get to. :)

contemplated having a sneak look yesterday against my better judgement but decided that the was still a cold here, today hail showers

Back