What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bee Inspector visited Friday after my phone call Thursday regarding AFB. (Large outbreak locally last years due to abandonned colonies- now destroyed - described as "near neighbours")

Spent Friday afternoon going through all Hives..

Killed with petrol last night bees in 4xTBHs and 1 x Lang.

Under quarantine - standstill order etc as usual.

Not particularly happy today.

Some kind friends in N Staffs have already offered me two replacement colonies when all clear given.. very generous..

Sorry to hear of the bad news - horrible.

I might have a spare nuc you could have later on in the year if all goes to plan.

Sorry to hear of the bad news - horrible.

I might have a spare nuc you could have later on in the year if all goes to plan.

Many thanks for teh offer..

At present I'm just preparing to dig a 1 meter cubed pit ...:-(

Mike

I doubt the abandoned colonies instigated the outbreak, although they may well have exacerbated the spread of the disease.
Never good to hear of such outbreaks, but they do happen from time to time. Mostly, I think, contaminated honey (imports?) available for the bees to scavenge.

Hoping you recover OK, but I always think the risk of re-infection on a site is so high, for several years, that I would abandon any apiary infected, rather than risk my other sites.

RAB

Swarm preps in our colonies seem to have eased now (fingers crossed), and the first AS (5th May) had eggs and larvae on 2 frames today :winner1st:

Bee Inspector visited Friday after my phone call Thursday regarding AFB. (Large outbreak locally last years due to abandonned colonies- now destroyed - described as "near neighbours")

Spent Friday afternoon going through all Hives..

Killed with petrol last night bees in 4xTBHs and 1 x Lang.

Under quarantine - standstill order etc as usual.

Not particularly happy today.

Some kind friends in N Staffs have already offered me two replacement colonies when all clear given.. very generous..

The biggest of downers. My sympathies. Its not even as though there is anything one can do oneself to avoid the dread disease.
Well done for spotting it and doing the right thing.
Puts worries about swarming and suchlike into a proper context.

Tomorrow black locust extraction if sh!tty weather allow.. Ton or not ton that is a question :sifone:
Sweet worries which can turn in nightmare when have to sell it and got cheated for payment from a buyer ( not rare in "my neck of wood" how you use to say..).
Lime tree is speeding up, have to hurry and too little free time..

Thanks to all for the best wishes.

I take on board Oliver's comments. Association Apiary was infected last year ..(about 6 miles from me) - now appears to be clear.

I am thinking of abandonning all TBH use and just using langs.. Inspection is so much easier.

I really feel for you...it must be a horrible experience. These diseases are a dead end ATM but in the future, hopefully, there will be a better way to deal with it.

Inspection as usual this morning, 13C next to no wind overcast, 10am start. All hives were unpleasant in the extreme. Stings in my gloves and suit and they were following which they don't normally do. I gave up half way round.
The rape has nearly finished but there are plenty of other things around. I was chewing gum - wonder if this was the problem?

Madasafish's afb puts angry bees in perspective though. Sorry for you mate.

We are sitting in a cloud today....the air is full of water vapour. There are some bees out today but yesterday was wowsome they must have been rushing to get the last of the OSR. So they are probably enjoying the rest! The honey seems to be slow to ripen....is anyone else thinking the same? Between 20 - 22 on the refractometer ATM. Perhaps the nectar is very watery since the rain.

Today I opened a hive which I had not opened for some time, leaving it until today, as I had a father and son coming to have a look, as they are thinking about taking up beekeeping. I keep this hive down to minimum intervention anyway. They saw Virgin emerge.. Think they are hooked. The colony had swarmed. We tore down the remaining queen cells. They were fascinated. Looked through other colonies. Did AS in a couple and finished by having a rare look through a TBH.

Inspection as usual this morning, 13C next to no wind overcast, 10am start. All hives were unpleasant in the extreme. Stings in my gloves and suit and they were following which they don't normally do. I gave up half way round.
The rape has nearly finished but there are plenty of other things around. I was chewing gum - wonder if this was the problem?

Madasafish's afb puts angry bees in perspective though. Sorry for you mate.

Do you think the poor temper may be because it was too cold, cloudy and too early in the day to open up?
Cazza

Put 2nd super on 4 hives as good Hawthorne flow now add queen cells to mating nucs and descoved a queen in one super so put her bk in brood box and replaced the queen excluder weather no great bees weren't happy to see me and bearded as soon as I opened the hives

Do you think the poor temper may be because it was too cold, cloudy and too early in the day to open up?
Cazza
I think you may be right Cazza, I went back this afternoon to finish and although still a bit crabby, they were better. It's what comes from having to fit the bees in around life stuff!

A bit of extraction, a bit of rain, a bit of split, a bit of forming mnucs.. And at the end.. gave one earlier split to one young beek ( actually let him choose one from three offered..). Sometimes you get, now time for sharing.. Seeing happiness in his eyes for unexpected gift also worthy, he will remember it for a long..

I doubt the abandoned colonies instigated the outbreak, although they may well have exacerbated the spread of the disease.

Never good to hear of such outbreaks, but they do happen from time to time. Mostly, I think, contaminated honey (imports?) available for the bees to scavenge.

Hoping you recover OK, but I always think the risk of re-infection on a site is so high, for several years, that I would abandon any apiary infected, rather than risk my other sites.

RAB

Our Rbi said that there is little or no reOccurance of AFB (After eradication) according to the statistics, and that is what points to outside introduction And not feral colonies I.e. Imported honey left around. eFb different matter.

Last edited:
I had hoped to do next stage of splitting my LDH but the weather was distinctly iffy .. rain clouds on the horizon and rain in the air although all we got was a few drops .. so ...just stood and looked at them through my one good eye .. the other eye being totally closed up from a bee sting I got whilst helping someone else with their bees ... the sting was above my eyebrow but it seemed to affect most of the left side of my face. No pain just all puffed up and a look like elephant man ! Stings from my bees lately have hardly affected me .. so this was a bit unusual.

Forecast weather for tomorrow much better so hopefully can get on and finish the job ..

Latest posts

Back