What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started feeding after the thymol treatment has just finished, and put the mouse guards on as the nights are definately getting cooler. have had a total break in brood as its been so dry lately and the ivy hasn't started yet. rain coming this week should help. Wasps not too bad but the European Hornets are hawking around the apiary and taking the odd bee mid flight. Not a serious number but could do without them.

sitting here waiting for the rain to knock off (around 1PM according to the forecast) as I need to put on the 2nd dose of Apilife Var and top up the feeder.

Refitted door and frame to try and secure new apiary from drunken Eastern Europeans using the side door of the vicarage garden as a toilet :eek: Will be moving my TBH and one other hive once the ground is clear and two other beekeepers are planning on sharing a hive or two next year. Its a lot of work for a few hives but we will have the vicar and congregation praying for the bees :biggrinjester:

Refitted door and frame to try and secure new apiary from drunken Eastern Europeans using the side door of the vicarage garden as a toilet
Tried electriying it? :eek:
Talked bees with a fellow beek for a while - now busy making up ten gallons of syrup

And the irony of this is? I am a professional in the health & safety world who lectures on preparedness ... I hang my head in shame and just hope someone else will be spared this terror – it really could have been dangerous.

Mark[/QUOTE]
Don't beat yourself up Mark. We all take our eye off the ball occasionally. At least you managed to retrieve the situation.

just went to top up the syrup all nearly empty bar one which was full so i took the lid off it and the syrup had solidified around the feed holes so the bees could not get at it so i cracked it of and they were trying to eat it before i got it back in place

Watched the rain. Test drove a Yaris hybrid instead.

Put some nucs in the tank to get their treatment with acetic acid. Topped up feeders.

Felt happy to find lots of eggs in one of the colonies I used for rearing queen cells where they had killed the queen on her reintroduction and that had had no sign of brood for 5 weeks now!!! Sigh. Why does queen rearing always have to be tricky?

Now got 11 gallons thymolised syrup ready to go. As it was raining and no bees out shut up and moved Garn cottage hive back home for the winter to make it easier to look after
Hi jenkinsbrnmair coul you please let me know where you got the syrup from how much and do they deliver thanks Steve :)

Made up 55 liters of 2-1 thymol impregnated bee food in my new second hand 27litre burco wash boiler and fed them ----again!! All out today as it was warm but had to put an old door in front of 3 hives as the river had flooded into the bee garden! first time for that! All have HM home brew varroa poison on now. Max of 40 mites in 24hrs so far. If that's the peak, then I will be happy.

Checked feeders in both hives. Not much taken since last Saturday. May remove it tomorrow. Api Life Var working nicely. Bees do seem a little 'loud' though, although okay with my quick look in.

Hi jenkinsbrnmair coul you please let me know where you got the syrup from how much and do they deliver thanks Steve :)

Steve - all home made - sugar bought in Bookers and mixed in the kitchen. Hivemaker's thymol emulsion mixed in the shed!. Mixed up another pot today so should have enough thymol mix for a while now

Hi All,
Have not done anything yet. Watching bees making orientation flights in the sunshine and looking forward to what could be the last inspection of the year!

Latest posts

Back