What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspected 5 hives, one Q-, all bringing in lots of nectar despite the horrible weather. (nice today).

Started program to insulate sides of TBHs - roofs are already insulated. Completed one .Two more to do..

Was offered a virgin, so ran one in to teh hive from hell - they accepted her on the step and allowed her in...watch this space...

Was offered a virgin, so ran one in to teh hive from hell - they accepted her on the step and allowed her in...watch this space...

Fingers crossed!

Made up some ekes ready for treating with Apiguard next month and made sure my clearer boards are ready too.

Lime trees alive with bees for the last two days . Put supers on most yesterday and crossed fingers for some sort of crop .
G

just stood and marvelled at the bees some of which are taking on the rain, coming back with pollen in spite of this washout of a british summer

am: took off 2 supers and left them ready for the extractor tomorrow. Made up and set 3 more nationals and filled with bees. Tidied up around the hives and planted rhubarb. pm, til now, helped a friend harvest his 7 supers and then woke up!! In other words: sweet FA!

am: took off 2 supers and left them ready for the extractor tomorrow. Made up and set 3 more nationals and filled with bees. Tidied up around the hives and planted rhubarb. pm, til now, helped a friend harvest his 7 supers and then woke up!! In other words: sweet FA!

not worthy not worthy not worthy :smilielol5::smilielol5:

AT 7am walked into town to collect papers , Under a tall tree thought I heard a swarm. Turned out to be bumbles on a lime tree.. flowers out.

Mine bringing in loads of nectar in this am's sunlight: presumably from local Lime Walk

Drizzle here so couldn't inspect. I cut some supports for the legs of my stand to fit on my next visit. Ordered a new smoker and burnt my old one out as a spare.

Had a quick check over the bees.

One colony going strong.
The swarm nuc has some sealed brood :hurray::party:

The other two hives still have no sign of a mated queen. One is decidedly grumpy, and stung both my apiary visitor and myself. :redface:

Put 2 hives & 2 nucs onto new stands, which I made in the week, after first putting down paving slabs. Now they are the right height for me and no grass growing under the OMF. Looks better & will be easier to work in :hurray:

Had a quick check over the bees.

One colony going strong.
The swarm nuc has some sealed brood :hurray::party:

The other two hives still have no sign of a mated queen. One is decidedly grumpy, and stung both my apiary visitor and myself. :redface:

wa-hey - result on swarm

were they sold to you as nucs with mated queens ??

wa-hey - result on swarm

were they sold to you as nucs with mated queens ??

That little swarm could be my saviour. I still need to check on the ones in my bait/trap out box.

The other two did have queens, and they were laying but both disappeared several weeks ago. New virgin queens will have emerged 7-14 days ago, so now it's time to sit and wait nervously.

That little swarm could be my saviour. I still need to check on the ones in my bait/trap out box.

The other two did have queens, and they were laying but both disappeared several weeks ago. New virgin queens will have emerged 7-14 days ago, so now it's time to sit and wait nervously.

ah yes, sorry i think you did say, it's been a long day :redface:

Bait hives high in trees are O.K. until you have to move the swarm!

Checked the Garn cottage bees - queen going strong with 8 full frames of brood and now some honey in the super.
Put up a few strategically placed bait hives (know it's late but not much activity in this area so far)
Later,took down occupied bait hive to transfer into a hive - very laid back colony with a blue queen already laid up more than a whole frame - where on earth did they come from?. bees now sealed up ready to move tomorrow (hard to move a hive in 3 feet stages when it's halfway up a tree!) and bait hive replaced with more wired frames with starter strips and an old brood frame.

Last edited:
I have a similar situation, and don't quite know how to approach it.

I find the best way is on a ladder :D
But seriously - unless you act before they've settled you just have to find somewhere three miles away

Latest posts

Back