What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 4 hives coming on, 2 were queenless and 2 are nucs made as emergency backup in May. All coming on with BIAS. They're still needing syrup and 2 had eaten their half pollen patty. Today is the first day in a long while we've had sun and temps above 10.
The coming week looks good, and the avenue of old limes are just starting to open 👍😁. Here's hoping we've finally turned a corner.

Strimmed around the hives, bees less than impressed. Battery powered machine but for whatever reason they took offence to it. I wore gardening gloves, what a mistake. Now have a swollen hand. Used marigolds to do the other site, no problem at all.
Added clearer boards where needed and moved frames around in the supers to optimise space. They settled quickly once the brush cutter was out of sight. A colony I thought was q- isn’t, patches of sealed worker brood today. She’s taken weeks to get going compared to her sister who emerged at the same time in another colony.
Need to start considering which colonies to combine come September.

well I was pretty excited at the result - just been on the phone to uncle Pablo to congratulate him

As a true born & bred welshman, I also find the result quite satisfactory 😀.
The OH said most of Cardiff were wearing Spanish shirts earlier today.

Sour grapes. I thought it was a fairly good game for a final, a desperate goal line clearance from Spain saved extra time.
Scotland just made up the numbers and Wales .... well we couldn't even achieve that.
Wrong shaped ball for Wales 🤔😀

Found something a bit strange this morning. Dead emerging drones I think.

DSCF20240715-03-crop.jpg

2 weeks ago this frame was patchy drone brood in a failed nuc. Ran in a spare marked VQ 20th June. Seen 4th July appeared mated. Given the earliest date she could have started laying these emerging bees are all from the drone laying workers. And they are dying as they emerge. ?? They are worker sized but think they must be drones.
Not worried but can't think why they have died.

#edit The same is happening across 3 frames. Almost as if the new worker brood around them strangles them as they emerge.

Last edited:
Why do we produce 4 European football teams, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, when bigger nations like Germany and France only have one?
because we are four separate countries (once Ireland is finally reunited as one )
Maybe if we had a UK team we'd be unstoppable.
but we are not united, and Wales certainly has no king

Why do we produce 4 European football teams, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, when bigger nations like Germany and France only have one?

Maybe if we had a UK team we'd be unstoppable.
Because everybody hates the English it would have to exclude any English players. Add to that Wales and Scotland are separate countries

Latest posts

Back