What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recent encounter reminded me not to make any decisions based on colonies defensive behaviour unless you’ve inspected them a couple of times & noted how other colonies in the apiary behaved. Two weeks ago this strong colony exploded when I took a couple of the 5 supers off- decided to put them back on and retreat: made a note ?requeen. Other colonies in apiary were well behaved & weather fine. Today with smoker at the ready they were pussy cats, not a movement out of place & calm on the comb. All without any need to smoke.

Bees, bramble and clover all ready to go BUT we hit the dizzy heights of 20C for 1 hour next Thursday according to XC weather. Not a disaster but not what we hope for in July. Today, here, from 1pm we are promised unbroken sunshine but a high of 15C. I thought they promised change after the election but I did not read the small print.

Quick check on some hives yesterday. One of the garden hives has filled a super a week for the last two weeks so had to quickly put together another super and 12 frames for them. Don’t think this will get drawn and filled in a rush though with the current weather and lime and bramble coming to an end. Changed the queen in this hive for a BMH Buckfast about 2 months ago which has got them super strong for the summer flow. Checked the other garden hive that was requeening and saw eggs and small larvae right away so didn’t go any further. Down to my last 5 jars from last years harvest to sell so won’t have much of a gap before the next lot is available.

But noone was falling over themselves to take them.
Have to go out in the rain now, shut them in and move them to a stand.
I'd benefit from the lack of interest and keep them. Chances are, if the queen mates well they'll make a great stock next summer and repay this year's effort.

I'd benefit from the lack of interest and keep them. Chances are, if the queen mates well they'll make a great stock next summer and repay this year's effort.

Think I've got some interest from a beginner. They probably don't have any boxes, frames, etc. so I'll end up selling them the box/frames they are in.
Might be a prime swarm but queen doesn't look very big. Might be virgin. My luck with timing mating with good weather has been poor so far. Most VQs have failed. Just have to keep trying.

It's been raining here this afternoon. First proper rain we've had for ages (which doesn't mean it's been sunny, either). To my surprise bees were still flying in reasonable numbers despite the rain.

James
They must have found something tasty!!

What are those white things under the hive? A few look like larvae
Yeah I’ve had trouble with chalk brood (I think?). I requeened them a few weeks ago so been hoping they’ll get on top of it. Open to suggestions if you’ve got any

Attachments

• 629788B2-D6F7-4938-926C-30BDA1CEBE43.jpeg
    629788B2-D6F7-4938-926C-30BDA1CEBE43.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
What sort of queen do you have?
It’s largely genetic.
The only chalk I’ve had was with black bees. Somebody will chirp up and say their black bees have never had it, mind.
If you have a resistant queen they will be fine.
They’re pretty black, yes. I’ve two colonies out of four that have had this problem since spring. I’ve requeened both of them with daughters of my best queen, who has no chalk brood. Hoping it will sort itself out.

Inspected the last 8 of mine that haven't tried to swarm this year,i've been pretty bad with routine inspections recently due to time pressures and poor weather well that's my excuse anyway. 2 had swarmed and 4 of the other 6 had cells in them so made up some nuc's with the queens.
Weather has been terrible here for the last couple of weeks with well below average temps and lots of wind,but they've still managed to collect a very respectable amount of honey,forecast looks much better for later next week onwards so now i'm starting to worry about my lack of empty supers again.

Inspected the last 8 of mine that haven't tried to swarm this year,i've been pretty bad with routine inspections recently due to time pressures and poor weather well that's my excuse anyway. 2 had swarmed and 4 of the other 6 had cells in them so made up some nuc's with the queens.
Weather has been terrible here for the last couple of weeks with well below average temps and lots of wind,but they've still managed to collect a very respectable amount of honey,forecast looks much better for later next week onwards so now i'm starting to worry about my lack of empty supers again.
Your bees always seem to do well regardless 👍. What’s your secret? 😂

I think gregior gets a decent flow from Balsam up there.
I’ve spotted my first few balsam bees. There’s quite a bit here but the bees don’t seem to get anything from it.
I saw my first “ghost bees” yesterday, just a few like you. I think the bramble is more popular and more plentiful at present.

Latest posts

Back