What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my chance and inspected in a break in the weather. The hive that got a super just before teh weather turned, have actually got fractionally more in it than last time I looked- as it's too cold for the 50 acres of rape behind them, I'm assuming dandelion.

Checked the hive I combined last week (having offed the evil queen). Upright eggs in the top box, so the good queen is still there; but 2 big fat QC's in the bottom box. Removed these, and hopefully they will now be content with their new queen.

seen the sun for once, and the bees are making the most of it bringing pollen by the feet load

Sun is intermittent but bees very active so I thought I'd check them. It had been a while. 1 hive 5frames of brood queen laying fine. Other hive has stopped shrinking since I rehomed into a nuc and has actually expanded by a frame of brood. Still needs requeening.

I also bucked up the courage and clipped the healthy bees wing for the first time. Took a few fumbling attempts but managed it. Bees seemed very interested in her so gave them a puff of smoke and everything seemed fine after that.

Not sure if they'll ever get to 8 frames of brood for a super at this rate

hopefully you've managed to get the queen amongst them. are they now in a Nuc box?

and yes, it's amazing how fast the weather can change, innit?

Went to the apiary this morning in cool but bright conditions, the sun came out and the bees were very busy so I thought I would have a quick look at them – by the time I had lit my smoker and put on my suit it had got decidedly darker and then there was a big clap of thunder, so the inspection will have to wait.

hopefully you've managed to get the queen amongst them. are they now in a Nuc box?

and yes, it's amazing how fast the weather can change, innit?

They are 'boxed' atm. I don't know whether I did or not. The original Q is clipped. It's just stormed again so not ideal to have a lookie.

Just trying something Mr Mod.

Didn't work, lol

Last edited:
Not the weather for a full inspection, but put emergency feed on 2 of the hives, as stores were nearly out, and more bad weather forecast.

First non rainy day for a while today with a temperature of 13c. Bees behaviour changed from yesterdays dashing out to the closest water supply to ignoring the water and heading out for pollen and nectar. Nice to see.
Cazza

Never seen so much activity at the entrance today pollen of 2 shades of yellow/orange coming in by the bucket load! Still I put a wee drop of syrup on to aid comb drawing

loads of orientation flights and also foraging activity today, about 5 hrs flying time before the rain started

Opened up the two hives in the garden, queens laying well but no stores to talk about so put some fondant on to keep them going. Bees pretty stroppy though especially hive no2 two bees got into my suit:eek: both stung me on the throat, another noticed my nose was a bit close to the mesh of the veil so managed to sting me through it. glad to say stings to the face (thus far) don't have much of a reaction.
Went to my out apiary and reversed into a tree I'm sure it wasn't there last time!:cuss: Bees (transferred from a 6 frame nuc 3 weeks ago struggling to expand but did see HM on a frame of comb now emptied of stores so hopefully she's getting her act together.
So now looking for a rear light array for the Jeep, no luck so far so spent the afternoon doing a 3d jigsaw which luckily worked!

Alternatives

Last edited:
Opened up the two hives in the garden, queens laying well but no stores to talk about so put some fondant on to keep them going. Bees pretty stroppy though especially hive no2 two bees got into my suit:eek: both stung me on the throat, another noticed my nose was a bit close to the mesh of the veil so managed to sting me through it. glad to say stings to the face (thus far) don't have much of a reaction.
Went to my out apiary and reversed into a tree I'm sure it wasn't there last time!:cuss: Bees (transferred from a 6 frame nuc 3 weeks ago struggling to expand but did see HM on a frame of comb now emptied of stores so hopefully she's getting her act together.
So now looking for a rear light array for the Jeep, no luck so far so spent the afternoon doing a 3d jigsaw which luckily worked!
Try the 4x4 center for your lamp or pick up spares
Mine where in a foul mood yesterday too, usually very gentle bees

Try the 4x4 center for your lamp or pick up spares
Mine where in a foul mood yesterday too, usually very gentle bees

Tried both but no luck - yes I think it's the weather that's winding them up. Typically this afternoon mr sun came out and everything was peachy!

Yesterday they were pelting in and out in quantity - possibly more sycamore than anything. Trees varying from almost over (been flowering ~3 weeks) to not yet flowering. And a couple of the colonies were bringing home the rape about a mile away. A commercial beekeeper I was talking to had one apiary on their second super on rape. Where the ground is wet a few hours of warm sunshine over a few days can make a big difference.

There are also stories of some colonies dwindling to very small clusters over the last month. Mine have certainly shrunk in size but are still healthy. Avoid that by making sure that your autumn Varroa control is good, and that the bees raise a late batch of brood to see them through until around now.

Last edited:
at todays inspection I found that the hive that was due to swarm has started the queen laying again. perhaps the 5 mile move gave them something else to worry about!!
other hive, brood on 7 frames, and they're starting to put something in the super ( no osr within more than 7 miles )

Latest posts

Back