What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you keep that netting around the hives all year round? Is it working? I am thinking of a similar solution in my backyard. Thanks.
Yes, it makes the bees fly up and they keep going at that height. I have to go past them to get to my greenhouse and it’s also near where we park the car. It also has the bonus of confusing the wasps who mostly hover around outside trying to figure out how to get in! The bees get used to it quickly and you can also observe from quite close without being buzzed.

Yes, it makes the bees fly up and they keep going at that height. I have to go past them to get to my greenhouse and it’s also near where we park the car. It also has the bonus of confusing the wasps who mostly hover around outside trying to figure out how to get in! The bees get used to it quickly and you can also observe from quite close without being buzzed.
Sounds great. May I ask what the distance is between the netting and the front of the hive.

Sounds great. May I ask what the distance is between the netting and the front of the hive.
About 2 feet as I needed the space behind to work them. It doesn’t seem to bother them. I bought a huge roll of scaffold netting which was cheap as chips (and use it for my veggie beds as well).

Removed Amitraz strips from last 10 hives all looking good ranging from 4 to 9 seams and plenty of stores. Forgot my gloves so had to do it all in a flash before the bees realized what was happening..One hive was quick off the mark and tagged me 3 times .:mad:

Why the bonfire?
Nothing nasty I hope.
Symptoms type 1 - 2 cbpv.
I've burnt the frames roof has been used as a water tray and the rest of the nuc has been broken up and will be used in my pots for drainage.
You can see type 2 in the photos.

Last edited:
Just been and checked the darlings,
Both hives are still taking fondant down, very little activity taking syrup down.
Should I remove the syrup or leave it on?

I've burnt the frames roof has been used as a water tray and the rest of the nuc has been broken up and will be used in my pots for drainage.
Not had much experience of serious cbpv myself, I have one apiary where adjacent colonies have for a number of seasons shown a bit of bald brood and shiny bees similar to your photo and a noticeable pile of corpses by the entrance, but I've let the colonies continue for a few years and it doesn't seem to get worse, they've both been requeened but I still saw some evidence when looking closely this season, one of them produced over 90lb of honey this year, up with the best colonies in the apiary.
If they die out I'll melt all the combs out and clean the boxes but I see no reason to euthanase them.
I'm guessing if it's there, all the colonies in the apiary have been exposed to the virus anyway.

I’ve had CBPV three times. One colony is presently being managed. They have stopped dropping dead bees so I shall reinstate the floor at the weekend.
I’ve never heard of CBPV in a sparsely populated nuc.
I have one question.
If that’s an overwintering nuc why are the frames not stuffed with stores?

About 2 feet as I needed the space behind to work them. It doesn’t seem to bother them. I bought a huge roll of scaffold netting which was cheap as chips (and use it for my veggie beds as well).

Sounds pretty much the same as my setup.

I think the netting helps deter wasp attacks too. They dont seem to like the steep decent or lack of space to maneuver.

The bees are almost ready for the winter. Trying to beat the first snows. All the hives are ready to wrap. Insulation on crown board. Mouse screens in. Just trying to finish OA dribble. New York apiaries are finished. We're halfway through the Vermont apiaries. Winter break is on the horizon. Looks like snow on Monday. :eek:

Latest posts

Back