What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which one are you going to get? I've got both a varrax and a sublimox..
I much prefer the sublimox.. Its well worth spending the extra money and having your OA all contained.
Good for poly nucs /hives.
V tempted! Everyone speaks so highly of them. Just need to think through how I’d use as think my porches on Wbc s will get in the way re sublimating through the entrance but seems there are other ways via ekes. Also need to weigh up the health side of things, quite like setting up the wand then stepping well away, even with a good mask on.

quite like setting up the wand then stepping well away, even with a good mask on.
You can do this with a Gasvap, can someone say if it's possible with a Sublimox as I've never used one?

Attachments

• IMG_7561.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
I spotted a picture somebody posted elsewhere if the sublimox resting on a metal plate cantilevered underneath it. You could step away easily then

Hefted my two garden hives. They were 'two fingers' I have had some fondant on them for a week but it hardly looked touched. Not too concerned, they are not 'light' but they certainly need a bit more to get them through, just keep on the watching brief ( which i would do regardless tbh).

Not opened them up fully, I don't see the desperate need, I will trickle OA in a week or two so with get a peek then.

It has stopped raining (briefly) and temperature has nudged 7C so walked - or rather squelched - round hives.
Actually saw one bee flying.

Weather forecast next week is sun (what is that?) and 9c so vaping time.

Just checking nuc dimensions - to make some clear perspex CBs for vaping from top...(I was given a few odds and sods of 10mm clear perspex - needs paint scraping but solid..)

Electric jigsaw decided to go bang.. more money.

(Yes I am mean)

Positively balmy 10c today so quickly popped the lids of to remove Apivar Strips, one looks good, plenty of bees and stores, the other was a sad little sight, 1 seam all clustered in the corner!
Think we are about to experience our first winter loss :(

Vaped and hefted today. Bees looking good through the poly crown board.
Roll on the spring. Fed up with the endless rain and mud.

Dropped some gear off to the shed in my main apiary. Temp 9degs and just about all the hives are flying despite the drizzle. Haven't a clue where they are foraging but they were flying over the hedge.

Bees busy flying lunchtime. OAed last two hives. Had good drops so far.

You do know that overcrowding is the main reason for swarming?
Yeah, but there is no obvious mould in there.;) No chalkbrood that I can see either and the bees seemed very happy. Lovely calm things they are. Blow on them and they melt gently away.

Hey Beeno, can you spot the queen on that frame?

Yeah, but there is no obvious mould in there.;) No chalkbrood that I can see either and the bees seemed very happy. Lovely calm things they are. Blow on them and they melt gently away.

Hey Beeno, can you spot the queen on that frame?
I am afraid not. Lots of butts in the air. Maybe they don't know where the queen is either?

how do you know they're overcrowded?

B:He said so, “packed”.
J: Oh no he didn’t he said “packed frame”
B: Oh yes he did
J: Oh no he didnt
B: Ok but I didn’t actually say the hive was crowded, just enquired about Antipodean knowledge vis a vis crowding
J: Oh yes you did

😉
Sorry missed my panto this year.

Last edited:
Also need to weigh up the health side of things, quite like setting up the wand then stepping well away, even with a good mask on.
Yes, you have to realise that with a sublimox, it's not just a good mask and eye protection but the fact that with clouds of sublimate around, it gets on all your clothing, and when you remove the mask.........................................

Yes, you have to realise that with a sublimox, it's not just a good mask and eye protection but the fact that with clouds of sublimate around, it gets on all your clothing, and when you remove the mask.........................................
What clouds? There aren’t any.

Latest posts

Back