What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks iand will put in one or two old frames ,it will be my first attempt to catch a swarm so all advise is welcome. It is recommended that the hive is placed 5mts up but I don,t think I will be placing them that high up

I often get a swarm of some sort at home every year. When I spot a few scouts about I open up a box in a place that will give them a clear flight path in usually at about waist height. Mainly because its convenient for me. I have had other bait boxes on the floor etc over the years. This may have given the scout bee the idea but when the crunch came they couldn't find their new home, and just clustered anywhere near . A couple of years ago I saw a swarm arrive so I went next door to tell them & get their young lad & his mate to watch. Absolute mayhem for 5 mins or so then circling around just above shed roof height. Then like a reverse twister they sort of got sucked into the hive & then it was all over and quiet. With bees then happily starting to go about their chore.
That will be where the height comes from.
ian

Last night I went out again armed with the thermal camera and took a forth set of thermal images over 3 months. Today I picked the best images for a few of my hives and put them in order for this video so you could see the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Vj-i8kSII
(at the time of posting this youtube is still processing the video - so in time you will be able to select HD)

Comparing some of the hives against others you should see the colony has moved around in the hive to get to their stores. Some of the colonies start on one side of the hive and have moved across, others have migrated upwards to where I've given them fondant as they were very light when hefted.

Two of these colonies had me fooled. They both seemed to be dwindling as I couldn't detect any strong signs of heat, but both are now looking pretty good.

Last edited:
got home late to find my MB nat tipped over (despite being well weighted down). Luckily strapped together and intact so hopefully little harm done. about to strap it to a pallet before work.

got home late to find my MB nat tipped over (despite being well weighted down). Luckily strapped together and intact so hopefully little harm done. about to strap it to a pallet before work.

Have they been playing british bulldog again, rushing from one side of the hive to the other.?;)

"Have they been playing british bulldog again, rushing from one side of the hive to the other.?"

even if they had i doubt i't'd have had enough momentum to topple - it houses my tiny Oct swarm find. didn't disturb them this am but will check on them next time i get a chance and weather not too bad. it fell straight forward so little prob with swinging frames.

presume obese local cat (20lbs+) was responsible.

Made up a batch of brood frames ready to change old ones in the spring.

I love making up frames, very therapeutic. :)

Found the apiary had been robbed of at least 5 hives, one of them mine. Shifted my other hive in case the thieves come back. I am cheesed off. They were a nice colony from good stock and I had united two colonies to make them a strong hive. The thieves seemed to have taken one from people who had two. Are they hoping that we will make up second colonies in spring so they can come and nick them too?

Found the apiary had been robbed of at least 5 hives, one of them mine. Shifted my other hive in case the thieves come back. I am cheesed off. They were a nice colony from good stock and I had united two colonies to make them a strong hive. The thieves seemed to have taken one from people who had two. Are they hoping that we will make up second colonies in spring so they can come and nick them too?

sorry to hear that.

please put up a separate thread in the 'stolen beehives section'

The thieves seemed to have taken one from people who had two. Are they hoping that we will make up second colonies in spring so they can come and nick them too?

It may be my nasty suspicious mind but how would they know which hives belonged to whom?

Unless of course they had fairly intimate knowledge of the apiary.

Disgraceful. I hope the thieves get caught :(

Yesterday .
Hired gas bottle and burner , cut oil drum (fgmo) in half and boiled up 300 plus super frames and half that amount of brood .
Not exciting but needed doing after far too many granulated frames this summer had to be melted out .
The really tedious bit is pulling the stainless steel wire out of each frame !
G

Last edited:
Still can't judge hive weight by heft, but struck me as quite a bit lighter than a week ago. Made a batch of fondant just in case. Warmish day and brief spell of sunshine so gowned up and took off top insulation and removed fondant tray from cut-out. Oh woe, tray full of bees and no fondant, but they look healthy enough, good! Smoked them back through the hole - they really didn't want to go - and dropped in another tray of fondant, better check weekly from now I reckon. Dismayed for a moment by what I thought were dozens of varroa on the white paving slab beneath, micro examination shows them all to be little specks of propolis. Relief. Half a dozen dead bees nearby, all healthy wings, so hope they're normal casualties for the time of year. OMF clear. I'm desperate to nurture these lovely bees through the Winter, just feels as if there's a long way to go yet, despite the daffs in flower!

quick heft of all the hives and quick peek through the clear crownboards - all doing fine.
watched bees returning to poly nuc whilst pruning fruit trees around it - every 2nd or 3rd bee laden down with hazel pollen.

Hefted the brood chamber (weighs a ton) & had a quick peek under the roof - plenty of action to be seen through the feeding holes. My big thing to watch for at the mo' is whether they have enough water nearby, think the stores are mostly ivy honey which could crystallise (although not sure if that'd happen at brood chamber temperature).

Sadly yes it will . I have tried scoring ivy honey once the weather warms up to get them to use it . Not sure it helps much .
G

Latest posts

Back