What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 more colonies now winter ready, I’ve been trying to condense them down to brood & 1/2 this year. The 1/2 is a super nearly full of honey which I always leave them with the HB still going strong & Ivy a week away should fill up nicely.
Got 7 left to do this next week, then all done for the season.
Looking forward to frame building, then cleaning all the kit ready for next season

Removed the last few remaining supers before the ivy kicks in. All very poor in volume but the quality and water content were fine. Also, banged a load of feeders on as the tykes are seriously low on stores at the mo.
Decided to start sublimation earlier than normal this year, due to the fact that a lot of our boxes have very little brood at the moment. Sublimated 70+ colonies so only another 60 or so to do. Boring, boring job though. Only a short time now before we'll be closing down the girls for the winter. A really crap season across this side of the country.

Took 8 more supers off today,not all full but a decent harvest,a couple of my queens don't seem to know what time of year it is,16+ frames of brood (including drone) in one of them!

Took 8 more supers off today,not all full but a decent harvest,a couple of my queens don't seem to know what time of year it is,16+ frames of brood (including drone) in one of them!
WOW Gregior......I'm bloody green with envy. Can I move my boxes up to you please? Oh come on....Pretty please, pretty please, pretty please !!!;););)

Removed the last few remaining supers before the ivy kicks in. All very poor in volume but the quality and water content were fine. Also, banged a load of feeders on as the tykes are seriously low on stores at the mo.
Decided to start sublimation earlier than normal this year, due to the fact that a lot of our boxes have very little brood at the moment. Sublimated 70+ colonies so only another 60 or so to do. Boring, boring job though. Only a short time now before we'll be closing down the girls for the winter. A really crap season across this side of the country.
Hopefully the good years make up for bad??

Have you ever had a try at putting supers on for the ivy?
It's just started flowering nr one of my apiarys, lots of it around and some pollen and Nectar coming in there.. I was thinking that I might try two strong colonys, the weather is looking good next week and high pressure is building.

Hopefully the good years make up for bad??

Have you ever had a try at putting supers on for the ivy?
It's just started flowering nr one of my apiarys, lots of it around and some pollen and Nectar coming in there.. I was thinking that I might try two strong colonys, the weather is looking good next week and high pressure is building.
Now that’s an idea.
I am feeding my bees and they have all had 4 litres of honey and invert
I was shocked at one box yesterday when I topped up the feeders. You couldn’t see the top or bottom bars for bees. I think they need more room so I’m putting a super on this morning just for space.

Now that’s an idea.
I am feeding my bees and they have all had 4 litres of honey and invert
I was shocked at one box yesterday when I topped up the feeders. You couldn’t see the top or bottom bars for bees. I think they need more room so I’m putting a super on this morning just for space.
Im in the same situation dani, 2 single brood are having supers added today of drawn comb..
When we went to lineside yesterday the sheep have been having a bit of a rub against the hives.
We are going round them almost daily just to check all stock.
Im doing my second AOV late afternoon on some.. How you getting on with the honey?

Is the ivy started with you yet?

Have been a bit busy ,... it was not a swarm - it was robbers ! There were so many in the box that I couldn't get rid of them ... they have stripped the comb that was full of last years capped honey and they are cleaning up any scraps around the edges. I've left them to their treat this afternoon and once they have all gone home tonight I'll go down and seal it up ... they were quite docile but, as you can imayine, trying to get them clear of the box was a non- starter.

Had a quick look through the crownboards on the other hives ... had to delay the White queen's nuc to full box as the hive I wanted to use is the one being robbed !! Best laid plans and all that.

I saw a lot of very bright orange pollen going in to all the colonies and also some grey pollen - the orange could be some early ivy - the stuff in my garden is still a couple of weeks away still ~ it's odd how different strains of ivy come into flower at different times. The grey could be autumn raspberry. Nice to see they are still collecting pollen - good sign that they are brood rearing.

We have a badger regularly visiting out garden (new toy a few weeks ago - trail cam) and I caught it on the camera behind my workshop which is right next to the apiary .... some signs of it digging for worms in front of the hives - just hope it doesn't decide that honey is on the menu.
I think bright orange pollen is from asters/michaelmas daisies which flower in the autumn - I have a lot coming in from my bees as well.

Last edited:
I think bright orange pollen is from asters which flower in the autumn - I have a lot coming in from my bees as well.
Or dahlia, I thought ivy was more of a yellow colour, see my video above a few posts..

Im in the same situation dani, 2 single brood are having supers added today of drawn comb..
When we went to lineside yesterday the sheep have been having a bit of a rub against the hives.
We are going round them almost daily just to check all stock.
Im doing my second AOV late afternoon on some.. How you getting on with the honey?

Is the ivy started with you yet?
The other two jars are similar to some of the honey i have taken this year. The first one from spring is all gone. I kept it to myself. 😃
I chickened out and put the super on the bottom. It will give them room and they can clean the frames out.
I’ll try to take them off in a month when the nest is smaller.
ivy is a week away yet.

That made you jump😀
Didn't it just, at least there was no swearing.. It was only a small worker, lots of hornets down there, some of the queen's I've seen in the spring were huge.

That’s a lot of ivy - well ahead of it around here.
You are in a lovely part of the UK, Mark, that is until Winter kicks in proper I suppose?
It's interesting having apiarys on the hill
The weather, climate is so varied, as is the forage.. From 1600ft to 600ft temps can vary. And the activities of my colonys the same.
This is my second season to have such variation of apiarys.
I'll have a Mating station next year at watshill which is as high as one could climb with out being on the summit.
Another out apiary in Farlow so that will take me to nine apiarys..

You know what the weather is like up here.. I'm almost wanting a proper winter, lots of snow etc.
Take it easy Poot.

Back