What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought today would be a ideal day to visit some colonies. Frozen puddles of water, so thinking to myself that they will be all cuddled up snug in there hives. How wrong was I, loads flying! Must be warmer than I thought?

Cleaned up the empty TBH, will sterilise with acetic when it warms up, ready for installing one of my over wintered nucs. With the help of a mate, since no bees were flying, I shifted all the hives and levelled the slabs they are on. All have some fondant on, ready for the cold. All of these were double brood nationals, full of stores going into winter, but about a month ago the weights started to plummet. All ready for the snow.

Went to check on the stores today, and there bees had starved.
Was still a full block of fondant over the bees and a mass of dead bees all over the floor.
I had put an empty super full of shredded paper over the coverboard for insulation too.
The bees were active last weekend.
Feeling a bit gutted for them.

Went to check on the stores today, and there bees had starved.
Was still a full block of fondant over the bees and a mass of dead bees all over the floor.
I had put an empty super full of shredded paper over the coverboard for insulation too.
The bees were active last weekend.
Feeling a bit gutted for them.

Possibly not... according to the BBKA comic this month... just died... nothing you could do to prevent it... possibly ?

Wrapped up warm?

Spent an hour this morning getting two of my hives ready for the cold snap. Polystyrene fixed around the boxes and then pallet wrapped up tight..... fingers crossed they come through.

On the allotment this afternoon a steady stream of bees coming & going from the hive, saw lots landing on the soil that was in the sun not sure what they were collecting, quite a few visiting the water hole as well they have a favourite corner. Inspection board checked brood cappings everywhere and 1 varoa mite, first one I've seen since October

You do my heart good Goran

Great pictures as always Goran.. Thanks.

All hives now have fondant and pollen patties as I expect cold weather may last longer than the next week.. and high winds suggest fiddling with hives is not going to be recommended..

Happy to be proved wrong (again).

Some more pics from yesterday..
Today had to reorganize things in the attic.. :(

Attachments

• DSCN7123.JPG
    DSCN7123.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN7152.JPG
    DSCN7152.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN7172.JPG
    DSCN7172.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN7199.JPG
    DSCN7199.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN7179.JPG
    DSCN7179.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 33
Warm circles on some roofs have disappeared a few days ago. Bees could feel cold weather should come soon so they stopped brood rearing. I hope there wasn't much brood. I saw only a few capped cells, but who knows. Those who have burned their food for brood rearing are sentenced to death. Listened hives this morning, all were buzzing vigorously.
There is clear sky now, may be the coldest night of this winter. -19.

-18C this morning and snowing.. chilly.. I still haven't been around bees, but pretty much are tucked in the snow.. I almost forgot when we had such decent winter..

snow has cleared, still cold so no flying but put my ear to all and all are humming

Some of you live in the "tropics"....never got above 1C here, snow just starting to thaw; no bees flying...

We only had snow for one day, been lovely today and its all gone. Will visit colonies this week.

Had loads of snow over here on the east. However, this morning, sun came out and melted most. The bees came out to stretch their wings from all hives/nucs.

Then the rain started. Still raining. Looks like I've now got a pond where my front garden was.

Did I mention, still raining.....

Few went on cleansing flights today and the undertakers were kicking bodies out the door as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yesterday pics.. In meantime little more has fallen last night and prognosis for some tomorrow.. After that temps up and rain.. some are feared of floods.. Due to prognosed of sharp rise of temps had to shovel " a bit" cause snow is in line with entrances.. If it remained below zero, I would not touch it..

Attachments

• w1.JPG
    w1.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 11
  • w2.JPG
    w2.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 11
  • w3.JPG
    w3.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 10
  • w6.JPG
    w6.JPG