What caused my colonies to fail?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a chat with the other chap who keeps bees in the same apiary (he lost two of his four hives as well).

He's planning to vape his remaining two colonies in the apiary this week and has offered to help me do my colony at the same time. He's got about 60 hives in total I think (elsewhere) so he should hopefully know what he's doing. I asked if we needed to vape multiple times over a couple of weeks but he said one treatment would be all they needed...

I'm going to order my own vaper as well so that I can do further treatments if you guys recommend it.
That’s great. If you are vaping you will need three treatments, one every five days as there is brood already so your mate is wrong.

I've got one of these masks already.... GVS SPR501 Half Mask Respirator P3

Would that be sufficient along with some safety goggles?
It may be ok. When you see the cloud after vaping it's mainly small crystals that have re-condensed and so I think a particulate-only filter like yours would probably stop them, especially if you avoid the cloud as much as possible.

For the sake of ~£30 though... how much do you value your lungs?

Vaping is safer for the bees, but not the beekeeper!

It may be ok. When you see the cloud after vaping it's mainly small crystals that have re-condensed and so I think a particulate-only filter like yours would probably stop them, especially if you avoid the cloud as much as possible.

For the sake of ~£30 though... how much do you value your lungs?

Vaping is safer for the bees, but not the beekeeper!

Yep, you're right. I'll order the one you linked to. There seems to be four different model options on that link...which one do you mean (sorry, just want to be sure I get the right one)?

What about eye protection...just safety goggles? I wear specs so would need something that could fit over the top of them.

Last edited:
Yep, you're right. I'll order the one you linked to. There seems to be four different model options on that link...which one do you mean?

What about eye protection...just safety goggles? I wear specs so would need something that could fit over the top of them.
4277+ (or 4279+, which additionally filters ammonia compounds)

Bolle Atom Safety Goggles I bought those as they say they can be worn over normal glasses, but it will depend on your glasses style - I'm not sure big lenses will fit.

Half mask, goggles and a beesuit. What a look!

4277+ (or 4279+, which additionally filters ammonia compounds)

Bolle Atom Safety Goggles I bought those as they say they can be worn over normal glasses, but it will depend on your glasses style - I'm not sure big lenses will fit.

Half mask, goggles and a beesuit. What a look!

Great, thanks very much. Might as well go for the 4279+ then.

The goggles look ideal too, I'll grab some at Screwfix tomorrow.

But I would let him do it so you don’t have to get all this kit now.

He's only going to do the one treatment...if I want to do more I'm on my own.

It's ok, I've ordered the kit...I would have needed to at some point anyway.

From my understanding I need to vape twice more after the initial treatment at 5 day intervals. Am I right in thinking that it's ok to vape as long as the temp is above about 8 celcius so the bees aren't clustered and when it's not too windy?

The Api-Bioxal sachet says to use 2.3 grams which should take 3 mins to vaporise, inserted through the entrance and sealed around with a tea towel....then leave the hive sealed for a further 15 mins.

How do we know there’s brood atm. Id suspect otherwise unless any have looked!

What about eye protection
Good thinking: eyes are wet and will absorb whatever is floating about.

A2P3 respirator is ideal and recommended by Sublimox. A refers to gas or organic vapour filtration and P to particulate filtration; both are graded 1-3 with 3 the highest filtration.

Whatever you choose, be aware that a beard will reduce skin seal and a leak may give you a whiff, which will be so unpleasant that you'll remember to take every precaution next time.

Years ago beekeepers thought it was safe enough to just stand downwind of the vapour...

Good thinking: eyes are wet and will absorb whatever is floating about.

A2P3 respirator is ideal and recommended by Sublimox. A refers to gas or organic vapour filtration and P to particulate filtration; both are graded 1-3 with 3 the highest filtration.

Whatever you choose, be aware that a beard will reduce skin seal and a leak may give you a whiff, which will be so unpleasant that you'll remember to take every precaution next time.

Years ago beekeepers thought it was safe enough to just stand downwind of the vapour...
Upwind?

No I think some people thought (and still think) it's safe to go unprotected... as has been said.. you will only get a whiff of the stuff once ... the coughing fit alone is enough to convince you,!

Wow! Strength or technique?
technique I suppose, I must admit the first time I came across duct tape it was being used by lighting gaffers (hence the alternative name 'Gaffer tape') on a location film set I was working at. Never saw one of them use a knife or a scissors.

The benefit of the wand type, like Varrox, is that you can retreat to a safe distance well before any fumes are evident, unlike systems where you are holding the device while vaping. In this respect the wand type equipment is much safer to use.

The benefit of the wand type, like Varrox, is that you can retreat to a safe distance well before any fumes are evident, unlike systems where you are holding the device while vaping. In this respect the wand type equipment is much safer to use.

Yes, I wear respirator and goggles when I vape with my GasVap but neither when using my Varrox (wand type) - as stated above it is about a minute before the vapour appears which is plenty of time to move several yards upwind. [Disclaimer: I'm not advising others re my Varrox procedure but just reporting my practice].

Latest posts

Back