What caused my colonies to fail?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
As mentioned, I’ve lost 3 small colonies in the last few weeks. Here’s some pics. Colonies were on about 5 frames, dummied down in a full size brood box. I can take more pics if necessary...what do you think happened?

B9CA5E6B-8321-483D-8B1E-EC21C370124A.jpeg112FDC10-8E8E-470A-BD18-5328559E8F78.jpeg65C73A78-98FA-4864-986E-E70A58CC6793.jpegAF888F3D-691B-4BDC-8D78-D63DF270FFCA.jpeg2979BE21-EC8E-464A-A1C1-358423A1E535.jpeg

Second photo has at least seven dead varroa; third photo shows perforated cappings (perforations offset, so probably not unfinished capping) suggesting bees attempted to clear damaged brood.

A failed autumn queen would lead to gradual winter loss of older summer bees, and phoretic varroa would impact an ageing colony.

I agree with Ian: when and which varroa treatment?

The pics tell the Q was laying as eggs are present still. A part from the perforated capping's of the very few cells we can see, there is also possible evidence of whitish varroa pooh around the cell edges or just inside them. Although fondant has been fed it won't account for the white specks in the cells.

Last edited:
A part from these frames what were the other frames like ?
Plenty of stores or any bees head first in to cells ?

So what was the Autumn varroa treatment.

From another thread, Do224 treated with OA strips

Personally, I think Abelo have some responsibility for the death of these hives. Or whoever else is selling them (but I assume it was Abelo). Their clever clever "these are for hive cleaning only wink wink" spiel notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Personally, I think Abelo have some responsibility for the death of these hives. Or whoever else is selling them (but I assume it was Abelo). Their clever clever "these are for hive cleaning only wink wink" spiel notwithstanding.
Yes. Plenty of folk, me included, thought they might be the answer. I realised pretty quickly they aren’t but I have the experience to recognise that fairly quickly.

interested...whats the Abelo issue/link?

Am sorry for your losses.

Unfortunately I do not have the expertise for a photo autopsy, but what the others say about mites seems like a strong possibility.

Do you still have some more bees for next year? Should you be short on bees and fancy a drive down south, I can give you a hive to help you get up an running for next season.

Am sorry for your losses.

Unfortunately I do not have the expertise for a photo autopsy, but what the others say about mites seems like a strong possibility.

Do you still have some more bees for next year? Should you be short on bees and fancy a drive down south, I can give you a hive to help you get up an running for next season.
What a lovely gesture.

Also, I am not sure oxalic of any kind is the right choice for summer or autumn treatment, because they are seldom broodless at that time.

Also, I am not sure oxalic of any kind is the right choice for summer or autumn treatment, because they are seldom broodless at that time.
You can vape three times at five day intervals. Many beekeepers do

Strips are slow release and are supposed to work over a number of weeks. I’m not sure you can blame abelo, there is also operating error. You couldn’t for instance blame them if you treated with Apivar and later lost bees because of resistance. Second pic shows an advanced pupae that looks a bit iffy.

Many thanks for all your thoughts on what’s happened.

The consensus seems to be that it’s varroa. These three colonies started as small cast swarms...I think I caught them in about mid/late June. Soon after I caught them I placed three abelo OA strips on each colony (although perhaps not soon enough...there was already brood present).

The surviving colony was also a swarm but it was a larger prime swarm and caught early June. Ironically this colony has had no treatment, not even strips as I had a super on by the time I was putting the strips on the other colonies. The other beekeeper who has a couple of hives in the apiary (he’s also lot two of his four hives) has said he will be vaping when the weather is ‘right’ and has offered to help me vape my one remaining colony too.

I’ve obviously been far too complacent about varroa...there’s been a lot to learn in my first year as a beekeeper, especially after ending up with so many colonies when I only initially intended to have one. I’ll put it down to experience and learn from it. Sad the colonies died though.

Incidentally, two of the failed hives had loads of dead bees on the floor as per the picture. The third failed hive had barely any dead bees in it though...almost empty

Latest posts

Back