What are the bees foraging in your area?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove near Chester two days ago and there is plenty aflower along the roadsides.
Our here are but tiny white pinpricks along the stems.

Another week and the bees will be in a much better place. Mine are located near the river dee, so I will have a quick loop and see how the willows / damsons are progressing...

They are still not coming out to forage anything but on the one day they did venture out they hit the snowdrops!

I'm on a North slope at about 900ft here in Llanfynydd so spring is about 4 weeks behind the lower Dee valley although we're only a few miles away. There's plenty of hazel pollen about but its still too cold for the bees to get out. In fact they haven't been out since December and I have only seen them when I put some candipolline on a few weeks ago. The hive is just catching the sun now, so fingers crossed for later today.

Supersilex - was it you I swapped the brood box with last year ?

Mine are out in force, looks like a summer flow is on. I do have 2,000 crocus in the garden. But it's looking more like hazel ect that they are bringing in.

Mine out in force. Less than 10C in shade but full sun.

3 colours of pollen going in. Orange, yellow and grey. I guess it's snowdrop, crocus and possibly hazel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen bees on hazel and always thought it was wind borne pollination....am I right or wrong!
E

saw first pollen of the year going in today,grey coloured.

Wild plums in flower, last of the snowdrops, crocus, flowering currant all being visited - lots of ornamental trees in flower, blackthorn just opening and saw a couple of goat willows out beside the A12 this week. Plenty of forage if the weather stays reasonable, not many bees out today but there were a few.

Rich

I've never seen bees on hazel and always thought it was wind borne pollination....am I right or wrong!
E

Hi enrico,
You are correct, but bees sometimes collect pollen from wind pollinated plants too. However, according to the bbka hazel is not very popular with bees as it is very small pollen grains and therefore difficult to collect and requires a windless day. Pollen colour apparently greenish yellow. I have never seen bees on hazel either, but they have better value forage in my area.

mine are on the wild plum.

Crocus mainly here with a little bit of snowdrop too; my neighbour told me he saw large numbers of mine on the crocus in his garden this morning and pointed out that his plum tree isn't far off being ready for the bees next!

Mine are on winter/spring heather, crocus,and grape hyacinth.
I haven't seen them on the hazel or willow.
I also have mahonia & viburnum in flower, but there not going near them.

Snowdrops nearly over now but Crocus mainly purple ones going well, saw the bees working Dandelions today in the bright sunshine. a few Camellias out not much about yet.

Latest posts

Back