What a b***dy silly thing to do.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I went through a very good nuc yesterday. The last comb was slightly sticking on replacing. I took it back out and there on the wall was a small bit of comb, about two inches square.

NP thinks I, and with hive tool scrapes it off. I picked it up and as I was in the middle of moving it to a bucket I thought hang on.

Blue caught my eye, bisected queen met my horrified gaze. Wordies flowed.....

I had a really crap nuc, some twenty bees and a queen, literally. So she has been promoted....LOL

So you see it pays to be sure of where your queen is.....

PH (being very honest here)

OK ... it don't make me feel any better... going to give yourself a good kicking too?:banghead:

More haste less speed etc etc...:leaving:

Just shows you can never be too careful. Good on the honesty too!

Even the profesionals count sheep and kick themselfs// mine isnt all lost yet will inspect early next week and update

I cant believe i just read that.

I need to have a drink and read it again just to make sure LOL
And there i was thinking PH was a bee god, could do no wrong, oh how the mighty have fallen :D

Feet of clay like all.

I thought I had managed all the mistakes possible but managed to find a new one...so do laugh at my expense, but for goodness sake dinna replicate it... which is the whole point of my post.

I just feel so sorry for a bloody good queen.

PH

Hard luck PH - and as a newish keeper...I have added your accident to the BE VERY CAREFUL LIST...along with 1. Don't drop a QE covered in bees (They do not like it), 2. Don't take off the super with the QE attached so that it drops off, covered in bees (The don't like it)...Are you getting the picture here?;)

Hard luck PH - and as a newish keeper...I have added your accident to the BE VERY CAREFUL LIST...along with 1. Don't drop a QE covered in bees (They do not like it), 2. Don't take off the super with the QE attached so that it drops off, covered in bees (The don't like it)...Are you getting the picture here?;)

Just to add another classic.

Don't forget if you are working with 14x12 frames and using a BS National chamber and a super, pick up both chambers together not just the upper one and rely on the propolis to hold them together...:blush5:

The rubbish one I shook the bees off the frame, all twenty odd and put the nuc to one side for cleaning. Queen was put into an intro cage and I will look tomorrow to see if she is out.

PH

Thanks for the honesty, PH. I have been loathe to mention all week in the forum that I inspected on Sunday and found no Q. :nopity:

I must have lost her in the transfer from National to 14x12 on 27/3. For 7 days thereafter, there were bees clustering under the hive and I kept thinking it was because I'd moved the hive a few inches forward, and they were "losing" their way to the entrance, but now of course I realise it was the Q stuck under there. I could kick myself.

There were QCs in the hive though, filled with larvae and royal jelly - uncapped as yet - and I'm holding thumbs, fingers crossed and bated breath.

I will have a quick peek on Sunday to see if the QCs are sealed or not. I wonder how long I should wait before ordering in a Q or an extra frame of BIAS from a mate ... how long will they have before the Q starts laying; or before worker bee numbers start reducing below safe levels.

It's such a strategic process, isn't it?! (aka "guessing game")

PH,

If you ask me, as long as you never make the same mistake twice, you're winning !

I feel that I speak with some authority, as I enter my third year as the "Worst bee-keeper in the world".

Update.... Just seen the queen that i marked 2 days ago. No kicking and a good nights sleep 4 me

The difference between Poly Hive and the rest is that he has a back-up plan; most one-colony beeks don't have that luxury.

I've shaken bees from a frame only to find the only supercedure cell in the hive on that frame, and no queen present.

I have never been aware of losing the queen but have found her in some unexpected places in the hive. it might mean more bees in the air, but I normally make sure there are few on the crownboard before I set it down - I have found her there too many times in the past. I think too much smoke, before opening the hive, is the likely cause for her vacating the brood frames.

margob99,

Are you sure she is not still there? They may have started building comb down there. A far better chance of survival later in the season when things are warmer, but unless you have checked and are sure.....

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back