What’s going on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks like just a natural coincidence - acorn fell from a tree on to a blackthorn bush and just happened to impale itself on a thorn, seen similar on more than one occasion (not just acorns)

Perhaps a squirrel impaled it, gnawed the top of it, was disturbed and an insect laid eggs in it and sealed the end with mud?
I thought of nuthatch, jays and so on, but they wouldn’t be able to force an acorn onto the thorn. Perhaps a squirrel could?
Interesting conundrum.

Above but that ripe hard acorn must surely weigh a pound or two to have impaled itself

On returning ….the plug is made of dry mud.

Perhaps a squirrel impaled it, gnawed the top of it, was disturbed and an insect laid eggs in it and sealed the end with mud?
I thought of nuthatch, jays and so on, but they wouldn’t be able to force an acorn onto the thorn. Perhaps a squirrel could?
Interesting conundrum.
I thought about that too ... but you don't see many squirrels in Blackthorn bushes - not the most hospitable tree for them to climb ! I think you might be right about there being an insect egg inside the acorn ...

Latest posts

Back