Wet extracted frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the tricks I learned from the association Mentor is how to clean out wet frames. Place an old CD over the feeder hole in the crown board and stack the wet super on top of that. By reducing the size of the hole Bees think they are robbing out another hive. Only takes a couple of days. I've seen it work.

Mine are stored wet too
Cold shed at bottom of the garden.
I put a Paynes plastic crown board every four supers.
Bees are up into them like a shot the following season

Looks like the Welsh folks are clearly voting for wet supers.

One question tho ... the wet supers will drip in this heat for a month or so ... will that not attract ants tho .. any advice on how you handle this .

They've been extracted first, not likely to be dripping, just a bit sticky. Whatever way you store them, they must be sealed. A stack of tightly strapped supers with a sheet of ply top and bottom. The same stack incorporating poly carb sheets every so many boxes or like I do, each box double bagged and sealed before stacking, ply top and bottom.

Julie in Ash,
As already stated, it can sound appealing when you only have a few supers but not a practical idea when driving to apiaries taking a pile of supers back and for.

They've been extracted first, not likely to be dripping, just a bit sticky. Whatever way you store them, they must be sealed. A stack of tightly strapped supers with a sheet of ply top and bottom. The same stack incorporating poly carb sheets every so many boxes or like I do, each box double bagged and sealed before stacking, ply top and bottom.

Julie in Ash,
As already stated, it can sound appealing when you only have a few supers but not a practical idea when driving to apiaries taking a pile of supers back and for.

Cheers Swarm ... thanks for the info ... I have two hives at the bottom of a surrey garden but if wet gives you better protection against wax moth then I am game ... so good quality bin bags and some ply cut to measure ..

If you have access to that wrapping plastic, cling film stuff, that works well, too my mate VEG used to use that. I use the bags because I don't trust the gaps between boxes.
Remember, this won't save them if wax moth has already laid in them and they can munch through plastic so keep your colonies strong and always store comb wisely, especially if you have poly boxes ;)

especially if you have poly boxes ;)

Glad you mentioned poly....storing wet outdoors is a nightmare as bees are attracted to scent of honey. Stick 'em indoors and mice and rats are inclined to nibble their way through them, they will even gnaw holes in wooden ones as well....and I have far too many supers to double bag them all (thought storing wet was supposed to save time?). Crown board with small hole (after flow has stopped) works for me. No effort really I just use the hives in the garden apiary to dry off all frames.
I'll wager Jenkins doesn't have an apiary in the same place where he stores his wet supers.

Last edited:
I'll wager Jenkins doesn't have an apiary in the same place where he stores his wet supers.

He does actually.

Mine are in a shed in the garden with a big note in red on the door to not leave the door open.
This is the first year I am having to store frames in poly supers. I normally use them only to get com drawn then the frames are moved into castellated wooden ones but I ran out of them.

He does actually.

Mine are in a shed in the garden with a big note in red on the door to not leave the door open.
This is the first year I am having to store frames in poly supers. I normally use them only to get com drawn then the frames are moved into castellated wooden ones but I ran out of them.

I tried keeping wet poly supers in shed...but mice/rats are then the problem during the winter months.....and our cat is getting old.
Surprised Jenkins recommends storing wet if apiary in same place. My bees just constantly surround anything that smells of honey. Swarm is saying he double bags his...presumably to prevent the smell getting out. Too much work for me I'm afraid.
I think I'll stick to my usual plan....I've tried wet and it doesn't work with my poly supers; for me at least.

Last edited:

Lost your bet then - I do, you may get a little interest for a day or so if storing them coincides with the end of the flow - but nothing concerning, and they soon give up and go about their business.
Far too many supers to be piddling around stacking them up on the home apiary hives, I've also seen how wet brood frames after Demarree survive wax moth far better if stored wet.

Lost your bet then .

Did indeed. Not trying to imply what you do doesn't work, but in poly it creates a different set of problems with mice/rats later in the winter.
I loose a lot of my supers when I come back from the heather for cut comb etc.

Did indeed. Not trying to imply what you do doesn't work, but in poly it creates a different set of problems with mice/rats later in the winter.
I loose a lot of my supers when I come back from the heather for cut comb etc.

I keep a trap baited with peanut butter in the shed at all times ...so that could work .. only thing is my shed is a bit musty at the best of times !! ..... will find a space in the garage instead ... I have poly nationals and so am a bit paranoid about wax moths getting in and chewing holes (again)

Latest posts

Back