Western Red Cedar: supplier found!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbh4

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have read various discussions on this forum in the last year about where to source WRC for making hives. I have previously bought from Whitmore's Timber in Claybrooke Magna, Leicestershire but it is imported from Canada and they charge £30 per cubic foot + VAT. (Their 6" board is a tad narrow too!)

I have now discovered Rowan Woodland Products near Coalville in Leicestershire and want to recommend them. I met up with Mick Waldram, the proprietor, today and he sold me some WRC for £15 per cubic foot. (In fact I bought enough for the sides of 3 national brood boxes and 5 supers plus bars for 12 boxes for £40 + VAT so that is even cheaper)

RWP do woodland management including felling trees. They plank the logs on a wonderful Woodmizer portable bandsaw mill similar to the this one: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtSuvwk5Ao[/ame] . All the timber is locally sourced in the National Forest.

Here are the details in case anyone else is looking for wood for winter hive making:

Rowan Woodland Products
47 Main Street, Swannington
Coalville, Leicestershire LE67 8QL

Mick Waldram
T: 01530 811418
M: 07721 618899

(Don't just turn up in Swannington expecting to find wood! It is on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Give Mick a ring. Very helpful fellow)

Cheers,

Paul

Thankyou very much for posting that information Paul. Looks very interesting I will be giving the man a ring. I have been using "redwood" for my hives from a large local firm but the quality is not a good as I would like for the purpose.
I find it amazing that 180 members have read the post and nobody bothered to submit an acknowledgement. Is it me or are bee-keepers just a bit unusual ;)
On a Homebrew forum that I post on your information would have received quite a few replies, considering that I have not even seen a good source of cedar to date.
Thanks again
S

Last edited:
Cedar wine ?
Stick to my fermented honey products thanks!

Interesting to read of hives being made in the traditional red cedar... thought every one was going over to plastick!!!

Noted. Certainly looks promising. I'm waiting to find a red cedar tree, and have several tree surgeons keeping their eyes open for one that needs felling. I'm in the middle of fixing up a 1970s diesel table saw with a 26" blade, which will be good enough for making planks....

Lucky find, will be giving this chap a call to order a quantity ready for some winter therapy in the shed whilst the Bees are quiet.

Great find, thanks for posting...

Winter Therepy in the shed --that sounds exciting, all Ive got to look forward to is the ironing

Well thanks very much for posting that Pbh4 - I have been casting around for a supplier and here is one on my doorstep. I will be in touch with the man. Thanks again.
Rgds

Merlin

Back