Well, it was like this, dear.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
I think the time has come for the Forum to build up what I gather is now trendily called, a 'data warehouse' of excuses and strategems to cover for our nefarious beekeeping activities.

Jenkinsbrynmair, for example, has proved himself a master of this, in the way he manages to disguise the extraordinary amount of kit he seems to need. Ericalfbee seems to have found ways to manipulate the male of the species to do some of the more awkward beekeeping tasks.

I, on the other hand, am struggling to explain away how what was meant to be a hobby with one hive in the garden, taking an hour a week, has expanded to take in the time consuming unemployed-volunteer-apiary project at the cathedral - and has just taken in another rooftop setup in Manchester!

It was like this: about 8 weeks ago, I got an urgent call via the cathedral from the Printworks in Manchester. This is a major conglomeration of bars, cinemas and restaurants, all in, guess what? An old printworks. They'd heard I had 11 hives on the cathedral roof (actually, it was 1 at that point and is now 4). Could I help them out? They just had delivered a "top of the range hive and starter kit" but had no bees and only willing volunteers. Even got sites on the flat roof and planters up and running with bee friendly plants!

So I went along. Dead keen to get started. Proudly showed me their hive - a WBC - and could I help them set it up and run it, till their own staff went on a course? Before the week was out, they'd got a second kit, as one of the cafes decided to join in. Can't remember it's name, but I do recall they play really cool hard rock in that cafe.

To cut a long story short, it ended up with me having a couple of nucs in the garden on Thursday night. 'Er indoors couldn't fail to notice. 'Er indoors didn't fail to notice. Did enyone in the Manchester area notice a sudden drop in temperature on Thursday evening? To about absolute zero? My appeals to her social conscience and the need to green the city, fell on deaf ears. My discussion of altruism as one of the most mature defence mechanisms, cut no ice. My observation that at least it would keep me from being under her feet as retirement slowly kicks in, was met with a list of jobs as long as your arm.

In the end, I managed to survive with all personal bits intact, when I pointed out that I've been offered the occasional free meal at that cafe whose name I can't remember but which plays really good hard rock. "Well" came the grudging response, "I suppose I could come along with you sometimes...".

Strange experience yesterday though; treated like a hero by everyone at the Printworks, as I installed their nucs. Treated like a dose of AFB when I got home.

So, guys and gals, any chance of sharing similar stories, and hints and tips about how to avert the wrath of the OH as we practice our craft?

Dusty.

P.s. I did also manage to get a new Sh*rr!ff suit out of it as well. They were really appreciative and generous. So it's going to be alright.

Dusty, you're obviously a night owl :)
If I need something made I just show my OH how much kit costs .....on the most expensive sites..... and after he says, "WHAT???" he might go away and make one.
He's making me a rustic frame holder so I can show off a cut comb frame at the association's honey fete.

I started with one wbc hive and the fond assumption it would struggle to get going. From early May to now the bees flooded the rapidly drawn comb with nectar requiring a split, plus the bees swarmed anyway although I caught them. Now I have four hives and two home built ply hives in reserve.
Fully understand the arguments you are getting but as you point out it keeps you out of 'er indoors way (for the summer at least)

PS
The greatest need is for a dedicated extraction/bottling room.
I even argue with myself when I've got the kitchen and the conservatory sticky.
Now......a lovely electric extractor and an uncapping machine like Veg's would sit nicely in it :) and WE need more hives to service it and it wouldn't be such a disaster if WE lost a colony or two and the money WE make would pay for a nice winter holiday to make up for the summer breaks WE can't take.
Notice WE
It's OUR honey :)
Now how do I get my husband to like honey beer?

I've promised SWMBO a trip to visit friends in Texas with this year's honey money. That's stopped any objections!

Now I just need to find sales channels for three times as much honey as I've had before...

Were there two of you wondering about in khaki 'rock cafe' bee suits yesterday?
Walked through the print works on the way to the plant sales.

How about pointing out you are training others who will 'eventually' take much of the weight from your shoulders and give you time to do the long list of jobs??

It may take years, but no need to go into detail yet...:D

Friend of mine was walking along the prom in Colwyn Bay the other day. He saw a lady sitting on a bench in a full bee suit .
He asked her if she were a beekeeper to which she replied," I wish I was "
Left him perplexed! :)
VM

Friend of mine was walking along the prom in Colwyn Bay the other day. He saw a lady sitting on a bench in a full bee suit .
He asked her if she were a beekeeper to which she replied," I wish I was "
Left him perplexed! :)
VM

At least she wished for something sensible!

guess i must be lucky! he keeps offering to by me bits for the bees! wonder if i should be worried??? Having said which i dont enquire about the contents of his gun cabinets - come to think of it i dont even enquire about why the gun cabinets keep multiplying so maybe that is why he doesnt mind my girls

What with the fishing, photography and now bees, I think she's given up.

What with the fishing, photography and now bees, I think she's given up.

Yes ..... I'm only allowed out of the doghouse in order to do decorating but having added beekeeping to woodturning to two allotments to silversmithing and sailing ,,, not to mention boat building, dinghy restoration and a zillion other interests - it's hardly surprising ! I've given up on exscuses in favour of 'Yes Dear, that will be fine Dear'.

My wedding anniversary is the 12th August - the opening of the grouse season - it's been open since in our house since 1972 !

SHOES SHOES SHOES is the secret to a happy beekeeping life lol

SHOES SHOES SHOES is the secret to a happy beekeeping life lol

My wife never buys me any - but I am perfectly happy beekeeping.
Am I doing something wrong?:winner1st:

I get up very early in the morning hours before HWMBO surfaces. He has no idea how many hours I really spend on my hobby and thinks it's just a Sunday afternoon job. Hah! Hah! Little does he know.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back