Well established colony in a shed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingCommander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was called about a swarm this morning and went out to have a look. A nice size swarm that I was going to go and pick up later but just called to say that it has flown away!

Anyway, the chap reckoned it had swarmed from his next door neighbours old shed. I asked to see it and it is a big old shed, perhaps 12 foot by 8 foot and about 8 foot high - unused. There was a lot of activity just under the roof, clearly a big busy colony, and apparently there has been activity there since the man has lived in the house - 10 years. I imagine that trying to rehome them would be a monstrous effort, given the size of the shed and amount of time they have been there. The owner is fine with them there but I can see it being an issue in the future as the shed becomes more and more decrepit.

What would you do? I have a friend who I would get involved to tackle it or would you just leave it be?

They are a valuable 'survivor' colony ... at the least I would set up a bait box somewhere in the area and see if you can pick up a caste - there's almost certainly going to be one.

If there is any chance of the colony losing their home then it's a cut out .... if you can see the comb it's not too bad ... I did one from a compost bin last year and once the comb with the brood on it was cut out and fastened (mixture of big rubber bands and garden tie wire) into the new frames and they were put into the new box they duly marched in. Key to it is making sure the queen is in the new box ...

I would certainly get them out, i have 1 booked for next week, been there a few years so potential for new swarms is high, how i sell it to the customer, its cheaper to pay me from the shed, than it is from a chimney.

If it's not causing any problems why wouldn't you leave it alone?

It's going to be a problem one day.
The neighbour may want shot of the shed, no guarantees a beekeeper will be called out so it could end up a very messy destruction with the chance of killing other colonies in the area if dealt with by amateurs.
It will throw out swarms and could end up in someone's chimney, or terrorising the local populace and who would get the blame? the known beekeeper in the area - you
It could also be a vector for disease.
No guarantee it's still the original colony it could have been repopulated numerous times.
The shed is in a state of dilapidation, my thought would be to get them out now and into a quarantine apiary then clear any evidence of the colony's existence from the shed before the thing collapses and causes a real problem

Wingcommander - what ever you do this feral colony is very much worth getting from the point of view of genetics if it has survived for the last 10 years without mans intervention. I would love to have such a strain of bees. If my memory is correct alot of colonies will die within 3 years or so once they have received no treatment for vorroa - could be totally wrong on this one, but the latter point aside - 10 years unattended by man and still big and strong and seems to be doing well - dont loose these survivor genetics above all, and share with fellow beekeepers if any one shows interest in these genetics. Best of luck.

I am not sure it matters if they have been in continuous occupation or not. The fact that they are not causing anyone a problem and existing happily where they are without any interference from a beek, is good enough. Why not just leave them alone. Maybe the shed will fall in the end. Maybe they will this, maybe they will that. But for now, just be happy with catching swarms from it or attracting into bait hives. The goose is laying golden eggs for everyone but there will always be someone who wants to take the goose for themselves.

:iagree::iagree:
i am not sure it matters if they have been in continuous occupation or not. The fact that they are not causing anyone a problem and existing happily where they are without any interference from a beek, is good enough. Why not just leave them alone. Maybe the shed will fall in the end. Maybe they will this, maybe they will that. But for now, just be happy with catching swarms from it or attracting into bait hives. The goose is laying golden eggs for everyone but there will always be someone who wants to take the goose for themselves.

assaou

A shed is just a big hive
a hive is just a small shed

someone has a colony in a hive/shed and they dont do inspections... no more a nuisance /danger than some natural beekeepers

btw most sheds are cr*p thermally

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back