Weird swarming behaviour?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesley Hoppy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I have a strong colony which has just replaced the queen - supercedure - and she emerged about 10 days ago.
About 3-4 days after she would have emerged, there was a huge swarm out of that hive - which eventually settled down and returned to the hive, clustering over the front for an hour or two before going back in.
6 days later - same thing happened. I should also point out that these two 'swarms' happened during a brief sunny break between the dreadful weather.
Any ideas as to what is happening? Could these be mating swarms? I realise that the first one was a bit early for her to be mated....
It's causing a bit of concern with the neighbours!:eek:

it wasn't just mine that was doing this

:iagree:not worthysame thing happened to me know their was no q/c in hive as i had been in a week earlier looking forward to your replies for answer too

I have a strong colony which has just replaced the queen - supercedure - and she emerged about 10 days ago.
About 3-4 days after she would have emerged, there was a huge swarm out of that hive - which eventually settled down and returned to the hive, clustering over the front for an hour or two before going back in.
6 days later - same thing happened.
Something like this mating flight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fqxVLctNo

JUST like that! Haven't read anything about this in the books....

my bees did the same thing 3 days after new Queen emerged.
They swarmed 4 days in a row returning to the hive each time.
That was a few weeks ago. Inspected today queen laying well hive very busy.
I asked a few very experienced beeks about this when it was happening to me, non of which had an answer as to why they do it. One had known it last a for a couple of weeks.
I hope they settle down soon, I wouldn't worry to much.

Latest posts

Back