Week old chicks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a gander on the Omlet chicken forum. They are all mad about their chooks but there is lots of info there.

as long as you keep them clean, fed and give them clean water. Also avoid all possilble sources of stress, in other words keep them happy.

Lime is cheap and will kill a lot of parasites and makes the bird less attractive to redmite. It is one of the best tools in my kit.

All the illnesses i mention are very complex, and can devestate a commericial flock. For a few hens it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure you will be fine.

I agree, I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't worry.
I just worm mine and keep them clean.
Keeping vermin away from food can be a problem but you can always try a treadle feeder. It would have to be a giant fat rat that was heavy enough to open one of these.
I had a chook with egg peritonitis which happens sometimes especially in hybrid hens which get fat. Had to neck her. Can't be done with treating as it just prolongs the disease. All mine are named.....blame the grandchildren.... and are pets but I couldn't watch her suffer.
You might get the odd egg bound problem but a little moist heat and vaseline plus a shot of vitD/calcium from the vet will sort that.

Sound advice from above. Egg peritonitis has a number of causes, but it is not caused by overweight chickens. The main cause is infection of some sort normally infectious bronchitis, although a lack of feed may casue weak shells.

follow the link for more info http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/health/egg-peritonitis.html

The affected hens should be culled, as mentioned above. The hen will be unproductive as it can no longer lay eggs, it will also be in some degree of discomfort.

Still reeling at this end with all the info. Never ceases to amaze me the depth of information held within the members of this forum.
Seems to have made Hedgerows brain hurt a little as well.

Pete

Latest posts

Back