Weed / Seed Pod ID

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I know this is a long shot but can anyone recognize the plant/weed in question.
In the summer they where full of little Blue flowers that the bees and butterflies took a liking too almost heather type flower's they resemble a plantain in shape but the flower head's where around 2ft long , i collected these when the flowers where gone and i now have thousands of seeds, any ideas as i can't for the hell of me find them on google.
Thanks
Steve.

Blue%20flowers%20002_zpsgvnwu9fb.jpg

Blue%20flowers%20003_zpsfwvta79x.jpg

Looks like Purple Loostrife to me (it can be blue-ish) ? Struggled to find a picture on the web of the seed pods and it's too dark to photograph the ones round my pond. If it is then it's a great bee plant but spreads like mad. Collect the seeds and plant them somewhere where they have damp roots and can spread.

Attachments

• PurpleLoosestrife.jpg
    PurpleLoosestrife.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thank you ALL this is the one that is most like the one i found , i have thousands of seeds from it in a envelope so its safe to say a part of Northumberland will have a large area of blue flowers this summer.

Veronica longifolia 'Lavender Blue

Was thinking Veronica before I saw all the replies.
It self seeds very readily so you will have plenty without your collected seeds!

Was thinking Veronica before I saw all the replies.
It self seeds very readily so you will have plenty without your collected seeds!
There is none at this spot at the moment Dave as the seed pods where collected in the Durham area , they will be plenty further north this summer though.

Back