Webmail Problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbarian

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My present broadband provider is selling off the package to another provider. I have used my present provider for several years and my E-mail address is via their system. I don't like the package offered by the new provider.

A third provider is offering a better package but they don't have E-mail addresses or an E-mail switching service.

Can anyone suggest a solution ? I am a dinosaur regarding computers ---- simple please. I don't want to loose access to the data in my webmail folders or have to contact everyone notifying a new E-mail address.

Thanks in advance.

My present broadband provider is selling off the package to another provider. I have used my present provider for several years and my E-mail address is via their system. I don't like the package offered by the new provider.

A third provider is offering a better package but they don't have E-mail addresses or an E-mail switching service.

Can anyone suggest a solution ? I am a dinosaur regarding computers ---- simple please. I don't want to loose access to the data in my webmail folders or have to contact everyone notifying a new E-mail address.

Thanks in advance.

gmail, hotmail, yahoo ... all free, not tied to any provider, web based, lots of bells and whistles if you choose to use them .. takes 5 minutes on line to sign up.

Then block send from your existing email account everything you want to keep to your new account (s). I tend to keep different accounts for the things that are important and use different email addresses for those sites that you need to provide your email for but are pretty sure they are going to start a spam trail !! Most of the online email accounts provide spam filters so they are pretty good.

You don't have a lot of choice about notifying people of your new email address unless your existing supplier will keep the account open and allow you to redirect your mail ? Sounds unlikely ...

People change their email addresses regularly these days so I wouldn't worry too much about changing and notifying ... Again, a block email from your existing email to your entire contacts list. Takes a few minutes usually.

Are you saying they dont do an email service at all?

Who are you with and who are they switching to?

Google and Hotmail all offer email but I have never found them user friendly..

I use Outlook Express thro Windows XP.. I have several email address and Outlook scoops them all up from various places/providers and I read and answer them all from one place.

Virgin Mail is provided by Google.

Last edited:
If you purchase a domain name it will give you possibly several email addresses but you will still need an email server to forward them to.

Personally I always thought that AOL was a good provider because no info was stored on your computer. Therefore if your machine threw a hissy fit, you didnt lose anything.. All your saved fav places and emails and address are all on the AOL server base. You just log on again and everything is still there.

Personally I always thought that AOL was a good provider because no info was stored on your computer. Therefore if your machine threw a hissy fit, you didnt lose anything.. All your saved fav places and emails and address are all on the AOL server base. You just log on again and everything is still there.

AOL doesn't have a good reputation ...now AOL UK is owned by Talk Talk - less than 60% customer satisfcation levels - lowest of any ISP in the UK - you must be one of the 'lucky' ones who find their service acceptable and reliable. They also had form, in the past, for being very invasive with their software on your PC - I dumped them many years ago when I started getting spam email that could only have originated from information provided by them about me ... In order to get rid of the remnants of their software I had to (eventually) reformat my hard disk ...

But, if it works for you then that's great ... I use Hotmail and Gmail and find them both really good ... push all emails to my iphone and like you use Outlook on my PC to consolidate (Hotmail is now Outlook anyway !!). Find them both easy to use and there's enough email handling tools for my inept ability to cope with !!

I dont use AOL any more.. better with NTL (Virgin) as we have a proper cable and not an upgraded telephone line.
They recently double the speed.........not noticed any difference at all.Still the same. About as fast as you can get Ithink.

I use GoogleMail Gmail but have bought a domain from Easily dot co dot uk, although there are many others. I configure email addresses to accept email and forward it to my Gmail account.

If I want to sign up anywhere which is fussy about me having a paid for email service in case I'm a spammer then it's convenient.

If I want to change from Gmail, then it's largely transparent to my correspondents, who should only use my private address and not the Gmail one. It gives me the flexibility that I want.

But, if it works for you then that's great ... I use Hotmail and Gmail and find them both really good ... push all emails to my iphone and like you use Outlook on my PC to consolidate (Hotmail is now Outlook anyway !!). Find them both easy to use and there's enough email handling tools for my inept ability to cope with !!

Its not the Hotmail Outlook that I use, its the old version as supplied by MS.
Screen divided into sections so I can see my contact list, my folder list and inbox without clicking on anything. I can even read what is in an email without opening it. This version doesnt work with new versions of Windows. I can send/receive email from it using any of my email address.

Ahhhhh. Developers don't get clear specs from their masters and so have to make it up themselves half the time; whilst their masters get rewarded handsomly.

The trouble is that often they don't seem to realise that they have produced an application that just about does everything most people want, so instead of fixing the last few bugs, they redesign it and change all the much loved features for the benefit of their trusty customers who gnash their teeth in frustration as they have to learn and accommodate a totally new way of thinking.

This causes great frustration with each new release and eventually we become sufficiently brainwashed and fall into line or get totally hacked off and find a new application, which probably doesn't do what you wanted, but is less frustrating.

This is euphemistically called progress and seeks to keep both the programmers and the support staff very busy. The former rewriting the code from scratch every few years as their peers leave and they attempt to get to grips with the undocumented abstract spaghetti code left behind with it's myriad bolt-ons and the latter fighting off the calls of irate users who don't understand how to use the new features foist upon them or where to find them in the first place.

Such Joy . . . :) Good Luck; I suspect that we will all need it over the next few years.

I dont allow updates to Firefox because they kept adding features I dodnt really want and removing ones I found very useful.

Ahhhhh. Developers don't get clear specs from their masters and so have to make it up themselves half the time; whilst their masters get rewarded handsomly.

The trouble is that often they don't seem to realise that they have produced an application that just about does everything most people want, so instead of fixing the last few bugs, they redesign it and change all the much loved features for the benefit of their trusty customers who gnash their teeth in frustration as they have to learn and accommodate a totally new way of thinking.

This causes great frustration with each new release and eventually we become sufficiently brainwashed and fall into line or get totally hacked off and find a new application, which probably doesn't do what you wanted, but is less frustrating.

This is euphemistically called progress and seeks to keep both the programmers and the support staff very busy. The former rewriting the code from scratch every few years as their peers leave and they attempt to get to grips with the undocumented abstract spaghetti code left behind with it's myriad bolt-ons and the latter fighting off the calls of irate users who don't understand how to use the new features foist upon them or where to find them in the first place.

Such Joy . . . :) Good Luck; I suspect that we will all need it over the next few years.

:iagree:

Latest posts

Back