Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a good mix of UK weather, by the sounds of it.

One has to temper 'rain just about every day' and 'high risk drought area'; it depends on how much. 1mm/day might keep the lawns green, but it would not be adding to the aquifers.

Over here in South lincs/Cambs/Rutland/Northants the bees are still collecting steadily; nothing exceptional but really no problem as yet.

It is just a matter of feeding as necessary - no point in feeding to enlarge already large stocks, if the bees were to know better for the coming months, and as for nucs - enough for them to service brood and expand at a reasonable rate, not so much that the brood area is packed with stores.

I am likely to need to remove another frame of stores from some three frame splits if they don't start laying soon (I am actually hopeful they will all be laying this time next week).

RAB

A real mixed bag for me also, I have been removing frames of stores from some of my strong hives and distributing them to the ones running low on stores. With some rain now having fallen and more predicted I hope when I check all my hives should now be self-sustaining.
Also hope to find that the rest of my hives, with new queens, are now laying!

Although I live in a drought area, the farmers here have got wise to this and irrigate the land quite well here.

So my bees have been doing quite well. I have a field of beans behind me still in full swing and the bees love it!

The river Ouse right by me too with loads of stuff for the bees to forage on. So its all good :hurray:

Wow, dont take this the wrong way but glad to here it is not just me :) Bit warmer today but just as bees showed their heads we had another 3 hours of heavy rain. Like everyone else heres hope for July :)

Update: Inspected my hives today - all stores gone and bees lethargic. Went out and bought ten quids worth of sugar. This jobs too hard!

Latest posts

Back