Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All, it is 10th June and my heating is now on in the house, I am still feeding bees and it never stops raining. Had a great April but that is it only had a few days above 15c after that, is anyone else in wales as fed up as me? Is this normal? Is bee keeping in Wales a real possibility?

Well driving through the Lakes yesterday it was 8 degrees C in Grasmere village at 4.30 in the afternoon.

Rained all May bar a few days. Very windy at times. June has squelched into the calendar too though there have been good sunny spells. Today was 14˚ in Kendal which is somewhat south of Grasmere.
I am feeding one of mine.
Here's hoping for some sunny weather, the bramble and meadowsweet are starting to flower, rosebay buds are just peeking through. It would be a pity if it went the same way as the hawthorn washout.

this is the joys of beekeeping :) totally at the mercy of the weather . but in reality being cold like it is, is mother natures way of bringing the season back into sync

Were are in the middle of a drought here, its official now, its been on the news today! Take it from me, having no rain is not any better than the weather your having.

OK admit it - someone out there must have been in the right place. That is the one between too much rain (here) and too little (winker). I suppose its those of you who are talking about extracting honey. Chance would be a fine thing.

Oh well there still hope for July!

Lancashire - Central heating has been on and off for weeks now - even lit the log fire last night. And, Oh my - have you seen the weather forecast for next week? Brrrr

Bees are taking all their stores. Guess there is not much chance of any honey this year. Perhaps when the balsam comes....

Yup - same in NW. In April most of my hives swarmed. Even the colonies I had AS'ed swarmed....and the swarms I caught buggered off again at the first opportunity. May was cold / wet and I'm not sure if new queens have mated as no new brood yet. Total disaster so far.

I suppose that is me then.

Picked up my 8th swarm tonight.

Looks as if I have some comb honey to take off the next few days.

I just wish my queens will mate.

PH

Dublin is the same. Apart from two excellent days about a week ago, I've been lighting a house fire in the evenings.

After an A/S on the 26th. April, one queen only started laying five days ago, nothing on the other yet. Nearly ready to give up on this one and might unite with something.

can't remember the last day without rain:( haven't seen a swarm all year, first time in 35 years...weird year

North Cornwall on and off for the last two weeks 35 degrees in shade and in the sun 41 dipping to 15 to 17 in the evening and by 10 at night 12 degrees. However Monday brought 12 degrees max temp dipping to 7 at night and the rain has been like a movie. Today it was so heavy the herb pots flooded over and it was gushing off the decking. 10 minutes later clear blue skies and the steam was rising off everything, followed 10 minutes later by downpours. As I type this the outdoor temp is 9 degrees and just starting to rain. Indoors 19 degrees and it's freezing. Oddly no mass of flowers. Jasmine is being worked heavily as is both types on honey suckle. Fusia bush is ticking over but not anmass yet. Wild service tree is in flower and fruit forming on the mulberry but not ripe yet. But when it is it gets a kicking from everything. Euroean hornets 0 me 3, although they have been hunting the wasps in the eaves. Also in flower is the darwini, round robins, and a yellow one which I can't remember a ground cover wild flower.

we've had about 6 mm of rain in last 2 months, and that is in last week. weather been good, queens mating OK, and have picked up 4 swarms this year.

Heard the drought announced on the radio today, they also mentioned some areas of Wales as being low. ......I'd like to know where.
There was snow on the ground until March, which was a cold month. April was fantastic until the last week, when the wind picked up. May was wind and rain and June is going the same way.
I also had early action with splits and AS, and collected three swarms. All said the stores are there, only my nuc has needed feeding.

9C here at the moment (2300). We have had rain just about every day since 1 May, and according to the news we are in a drought area of "high risk". This must be the wettest drought on record.
Have been unable to properly open the hive to mark the queen - too cold or too rainy. Fast checks are all that can be done. Eggs: check, brood pattern: check, space: running out of stores. Feed, close, rinse and repeat.

Frost the night before last. 6 degrees outside as I write. Gales recently. No nectar brought in from the acres of rape a stone's throw away, little lime nearby, bramble flowers over already, clover & Rosebay Willowherb etc. stunted by the drought.

Still, mustn't grumble, as me old granny used to say.... At the moment I am still feeding my weakest hives & will be buying honey for myself at this rate. Hopefully things will improve somehow or at least be better next year!... :nature-smiley-011:

I've got bees in Worcestershire and Leicestershire. In spite of drought it's pretty good in Leics. Not so good in Worcs. Last year it was the other way round.

corbyn's weather Action's long range weather trend forecast predicted this break to the south eastern drought 45 days ago based on possible solar magentic wind changes that just occured

his late june forecast is also rather wet for the SE

issued 10 April 2011. Fuller details will be issued shortly.
* CIRCULATED
FULLER 15-45day forecast will be issued also on 16/17th MAY
FOR INFORMATION 16May 2011 to 15-45day forecast users.
JUNE 2011 Headline summary & essential weather type development.
Very wet with thunderstorms and floods.
Generally cool and cloudy.
The month will probably start with wet and windy
weather mainly in West and North parts and
SouthEast England somewhat finer. However more
cyclonic conditions soon prevail and central and
South parts turn very wet with flooding likely
including in South / East England

the detailed forecast is correct to 12hours of the predicted rain in the SE that broke the drought and the current rain storm is as predicted for sunday and is predicted more stromy than met offcie said two days in advance . it was not on the Met office forecast seven days ago

Last edited:
Hi All, it is 10th June and my heating is now on in the house, I am still feeding bees and it never stops raining. Had a great April but that is it only had a few days above 15c after that, is anyone else in wales as fed up as me? Is this normal? Is bee keeping in Wales a real possibility?
What part of God's country are you from?
Went outside this morning - so cold I expected frost, there was snow on Snowdon today!!
The girls are really busy when the sun shines on the top of the garden, but five minutes after you could swear you were in Siberia!!taking syrup like nobody's business, but my grandfather kept bees 70 years ago so I'll give it a good try
bee-smillie:)

Northwest Ireland - Black bees have smaller than usual brood nests. Moved into first (and only super) last week, but have retreated again!. No swarms and no queen cells, although expect to see some next week. Last years nucs needing close attention or will starve. Clover in blossom and bramble starting but no income. It has been absolutely miserable year since 1/1/11. Any Scottish readers here with updates on conditions?.

Latest posts

Back