Weak Queenless Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenHive

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Evening All,

I would very much appreciate some advice from the hive mind if possible please 🙏

I have 2 hives. 1 hive is strong, disease-free, and queen right. 1 hive is weak, queenless, and varroa ridden. I am going to treat them both with oxalic vape this week to sort the varroa issue.

- Will moving a frame or 2 of brood and eggs from the strong hive into the weak be beneficial to them?

- Will moving them into a 6 frame nuc over winter be beneficial to them?

- Are there any secrets to preventing the colony from going laying worker? I ask this because I plan to requeen in spring.

Thank you for reading!

Evening All,

I would very much appreciate some advice from the hive mind if possible please 🙏

I have 2 hives. 1 hive is strong, disease-free, and queen right. 1 hive is weak, queenless, and varroa ridden. I am going to treat them both with oxalic vape this week to sort the varroa issue.

- Will moving a frame or 2 of brood and eggs from the strong hive into the weak be beneficial to them?

- Will moving them into a 6 frame nuc over winter be beneficial to them?

- Are there any secrets to preventing the colony from going laying worker? I ask this because I plan to requeen in spring.

Thank you for reading!
No .. waste of time donating brood to a weak hive. If it is truly queenless combine it with your strong hive and make the most of the bees (and if there is any brood left). It's too late now for sensible requeening - either letting them make one or buying one in.

Once you have treated, if there is no brood in the weak hive you could wait for a dry day and just shake them out in front of your other hive but I would probably just tip them into your other hive with a squirt of air freshener - quicker and easier than a newspaper combine.

You can always split and add a queen in the Sprint or Demaree ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back