WBC mouse problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cone in perforated aluminium sheet is not exactly difficult to make. A blue peter childrens activity (if any sharp edges are taped over)! Arranging for it to have a small central hole is even easier. It is not like there are thousands required, or is nearly everybody devoid of simple origami skills as well as other practical skills these days? Beekeeping is a simple practical skill/craft/art, or whatever you might want to call it?

Yes Rab ... I'm all for making my own things and do all the time - I could probably turn a wooden one on my lathe in a few minutes ... but there is a degree of elegance to be admired in the original cast metal of WBC's creation do you not think ? I would agree with you, however, that a lot of people are put off at having to make their own .....

lot of people are put off at having to make their own .....

No, I don't think that is the case at all. Inability to carry out simple tasks or pure lazyness are two more likely alternatives!

lot of people are put off at having to make their own .....

No, I don't think that is the case at all. Inability to carry out simple tasks or pure lazyness are two more likely alternatives!

Lazyness ... perhaps ? Some people are inately lazy but I'm not sure that many serious beekeepers (with what is involved in keeping bees) could possibly be lazy. As for inabilty - I've found, over many years of training people in lots of different tasks, that it's often more about confidence in their own ability to do things rather than an actual inability. Once people are shown and allowed to get hands on in a task they inevitably find that the skills required are relatively easy to acquire. It's rare that I have found someone who was so completely inept that they could not be trained to the point where they could do things they thought, initially, were beyond their ability. Occasionally, as a result of strength, disability or some other form of impairment - but even then, with a little creativity, some level of competence is possible. If there is the will to learn anything is possible - I'm not that cynical Rab ...

Weeell, I just went and made one.

Not as pretty as a neat plastic jobbie, but just as functional. Could have done with being made in a thicker guage of aluminium gauze (the mesh sheet I picked up was for reinforcing car body filler repairs). Checked the shape with an origami starter first, so not too much material cut.

I'm not at all artistic, so it could be much improved. Perhaps rolling around a former such as an icing cone (OK, not many have an icing set these days - for one reason or the other). I just used a pencil as a guide for the hole size and stapled it together with a 'baby' stapler. Hot glue gun comes to mind as an alternative.

Half a dozen drawing pins (one on each and every tab on mine) would make it very secure, I would think. Job done.

I didn't need any special training - I just went and made it from scratch, just for the h*ll of it,
with items near to hand.

RAB

Weeell, I just went and made one.

Not as pretty as a neat plastic jobbie, but just as functional. Could have done with being made in a thicker guage of aluminium gauze (the mesh sheet I picked up was for reinforcing car body filler repairs). Checked the shape with an origami starter first, so not too much material cut.

I'm not at all artistic, so it could be much improved. Perhaps rolling around a former such as an icing cone (OK, not many have an icing set these days - for one reason or the other). I just used a pencil as a guide for the hole size and stapled it together with a 'baby' stapler. Hot glue gun comes to mind as an alternative.

Half a dozen drawing pins (one on each and every tab on mine) would make it very secure, I would think. Job done.

I didn't need any special training - I just went and made it from scratch, just for the h*ll of it,
with items near to hand.

RAB

We are of a different generation RAB .... Living dinosaurs ! Where's the photo then ?

Back