Wax moth: 5 larvae found on open mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snecklifter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

I am a beginner, had a good search but this is a specific query so thought it would be OK to ask.

I have a brand new national hive with a 3 week old colony, purchased as a 5 frame nuc through my local association from a breeder in Lincolnshire.

Last inspection on Sunday evening showed plenty of brood in all stages with comb being drawn out and almost complete on the two new outer frames - I put the nuc frames in the middle with three new brood frames either side, not sure if this is correct.

All appeared OK but forgot to check the floor until last night. Plenty of bits but found 5 wax moth larvae (I'm pretty sure this is correct, have looked up images etc) so my question is:

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I be contacting the supplier?

Many thanks

I am sure someone more experience will be right along... My understanding is that strong colonies deal with wax moth themselves, it looks like the larvae are being tossed out by your bees.

If it is the tray and perhaps been in the hive for a few weeks the wax moth has laid eggs on it and they have hatched into wax moth larvae. Or the bees have found the larvae in the hive and basically pushed them from the combs and they have fallen down through the hive.

A good healthy colony deals with wax moth just fine.

Thank you for the response.
My main concern is that as a nuc it probably isn't a very strong colony.
I was also interested in any tips about reducing the infestation.
Also whether experienced beekeepers think that finding wax moth so early on is normal.

It may not be strong in size but strong all the same as regards health. I am of course assuming your association have provided you with a good colony. I bet thats got you worried sorry.

The bees are the best at removing wax moth its never been a problem with me.

Are you SURE that the extra frames you added to the nuc in your new hive did not have wax moth eggs laid in the crevices?
E

I had a super frame in a case that I took out to make room, and was waiting to extract with other frames. I noted the other night that their was a larvae in there, and the track of another - but it was from a poly hive so where would they be hiding??

Checked on inspection and could see no signs of any other problems or more larvae...so not sure why, as it is my strongest hive...brood and a half, new super plus 3 others...I have a clearer board on, so it will be interesting to see what is in there when we can look closely without being attacked.

Some areas are really prone to wax moth. Make sure you guard against it over winter. Freeze all frames and if possible all box's before storing. Try and store a well sealed pitch black room, not an outhouse or shed, or wrap in black bin liners. Wax moth can wrench supers and brood and cost you loads of money! In live hives they are not usually a problem that the bees can't deal with.
E

Why pitch black? I though wax moth avoided the light?

Why pitch black? I though wax moth avoided the light?

All I can say is that since I started keeping all my hives in a room with NO light, four brick walls, I have seen no moths or grubs and I used to be plagued by them.... Could be coincidence but.... Maybe they can't see where they are flying!
E

inspection tray should only be in for inspections. an OMF should be open most of the time.

re hiving - typical advice would be to add frames as needed with dummy boards until full.

I have wax moths here in large numbers as you would expect, I can see them running in and out of the hives even in the daytime but they aren't a problem in a hive that is populated.

Supers that have been extracted and are stored in a moth proof manner will also be fine as it's just so unlikely that a wax moth will have got all through the colony and queen excluder to lay upstairs.

Frames from colonies that have died out can be frozen at -18C for a couple of days and then stored immediately in a moth proof situation.

For the OP I would guess that there colony you have inherited had the eggs or larvae present, perhaps an indication as to the size of the larvae would help with their age?

Chris

In the poly itself? They can make a right mess.

That is what I was worried about - but can find no sign in the boxes - so either I found the only 2 larvae on the one comb I happened to take out or they are hiding elsewhere - but is is such a big colony I have no idea how they have survived until now...

I would love to freeze everything each year Enrico...but I do not have a spare chest freezer...hoping to if we ever move...

The important thing is to be sure not to leave the bees in a large 'cavern'. Wax moth just love unused frames to infest. A small colony in a large box of wax is most certainly at risk. Drawn wax - even more so.

RAB

All appeared OK but forgot to check the floor until last night. Plenty of bits but found 5 wax moth larvae (I'm pretty sure this is correct, have looked up images etc) so my question is:

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I be contacting the supplier?

You don't need to leave the floor in all the time, it only needs to be in place when you're monitoring mite drop.

The wax moth will more than likely have laid eggs on hive debris that's trapped on the floor below the mesh - where the bees can't get at it to get rid of the eggs.

Remove the solid tray and you'll probably remove the problem

You don't need to leave the floor in all the time, it only needs to be in place when you're monitoring mite drop.

The wax moth will more than likely have laid eggs on hive debris that's trapped on the floor below the mesh - where the bees can't get at it to get rid of the eggs.

Remove the solid tray and you'll probably remove the problem

You're a star, didn't realise this! Typical newbie panic.

Many thanks Beejoyful and to everyone else who responded. Good to know its no cause for alarm in any event.

Are you SURE that the extra frames you added to the nuc in your new hive did not have wax moth eggs laid in the crevices?
E

Yes, absolutely. These were new frames I had only just assembled a few days before so I'm guessing I have "inherited" this lot.

I panicked too when I found a couple of wax moth larvae in a tray I had put underneath the hive. I was relieved to be told that the bees usually deal with it themselves.

Latest posts

Back