wax cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denise washington

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4+2 nucs
hi i have extracted my honey first ever but what do i do with the capping how can i get all the honey off it
thanks denise

Put them in a clean pair of tights and hang them up to drip over a container

Simplest is to allow it to strain through a jellybag for 24 hours or so.

After that you can wash the wax in boiled and cooled water - and make mead with the washwater.

Or you could buy an alternative drum for the T's 9-frame extractor family, and spin the cappings. (I have wondered about trying a salad spinner with a muslin insert ...)

"Cappings wax" is the cleanest, so treasure it for your winter wax-processing experiments.

The skill in uncapping is at least partly in cutting off the thinnest layer of cappings!

or after straining it give it back to the bees to clean up and then keep the wax :)

hi i have extracted my honey first ever but what do i do with the capping how can i get all the honey off it
thanks denise

Get a bottle of cheap rum/vodka. Legit, but cooking quality.

Soak the cappings in it for a couple of days, stirrling regularly.

Drain, saving spirit, filter if necessary and bottle.

It will leave clean cappings for wax jobs and a lovely drink.

Another option - microwave the cappings in a pyrex bowl until the wax is melted and floats on top of the honey. Leave to cool for 12 hours, then lift off the saucer-shaped lump of wax and clean it.

The small amount of honey left over can't be sold because it has been overheated, but you can use it yourself.

There are downsides to this method, but the good point is that you very quickly end up with a single solid chunk of wax.

or after straining it give it back to the bees to clean up and then keep the wax :)

:iagree:
After letting mine drain I put them in a miller feeder. The bees do an excellent job of cleaning it up and leave top quality wax.

The other day I saw a mesh bag that fits into an extractor specifically for the purpose of spinning out honey from cappings or broken comb. Very new on the market, apparently.

Slight Fred Drift ...

Does anyone know a source of fruit pressing cloth ? The best I can find so far is £13 a pop from the USA. There must be somewhere more local ...

LJ

Couldn't agree more. That way the bees either collect and store the honey resudues or they use it for wax. Either way, they leave the wax clean and you can make candles or whatever. Best way to give it back to them is simply to spread it around in a Miller or Ashforth feeder if you have any and let them get on with it for as long as it takes. It won't be wasted.

The other day I saw a mesh bag that fits into an extractor specifically for the purpose of spinning out honey from cappings or broken comb. Very new on the market, apparently.

Such things have been around for years.
Needs a tangential extractor, support screens and balancing!

Abelo are one source of such things.

Now there IS an interesting idea ...

Slight Fred Drift ...

Does anyone know a source of fruit pressing cloth ? The best I can find so far is £13 a pop from the USA. There must be somewhere more local ...

LJ

Buy some butter muslin, but if you prefer a nyon bag and only want a small one you can 'jelly bag' from Lakeland. http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3810/Replacement-Jelly-Bag John Lewis sells them too.

You can buy a 'fruit press bag' from a home brewing shop http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Fruit_Press_Bag_50cm_x_50cm.html#.UbnOLtic7ew

Some beekeeping suppliers sell bags or fabric for use with honey presses, it's the same sort of stuff.

Are they any good? I can find 3 suppliers ( Abelo, p@ynes and NBS)
I've tried putting cappings in a poly feeder with partial success and would be willing to try an extractor bag.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

:iagree:

See my thread about doing this. Have bought some white rum this morning and currently steeping cappings in it in a Kilner jar. At the weekend (after many shakes of the jar) I will strain, then add some vanilla, cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise and allspice berries... check and adjust if necessary. Voila then in the meantime the cappings will be beautifully clean ready to use as others have suggested.

Even if you don't drink, it'd make a lovely, home made gift for someone for chrimbo.

If you're below 18, ignore the above!!!!!!!!!! lol

Slight Fred Drift ...

LJ

You can buy these from Sainsbury's. I ordered them on-line two days ago and they are ready to be collected from my local branch today

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/home_and_garden/123318211_kilner-muslin-square.html

Alternatively you could use a pair of tights to strain the honey, just make sure they aren't being worn at the time!

Latest posts

Back