Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
I bet they will ignore it and travel that little bit further to get water from a stagnant puddle. We all have our favourite watering holes. !
:ack2:

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
That should be no problem - fill it with water from the stagnant puddle! Anything to get them started on it, rather than neighbours pool or whatever. They will then keep using it.

Regards, RAB

rae 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 and 3 nucs...it's swarm time...
We've got the same, and we put it in the dried up ditch where they drank from earlier in the year - they've taken to it nicely. I put a load of old shreddings and dirt in there to make the water suitably vile for them.

andypigeon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
mine use the pond, i have a board floating in it for them to land on.

Leigh 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Having tried buckets with moss and also floaty bits of wood therein, which seem to kill/drown quite a few bees.

This method seems to give them a ready supply of clean water and they don't seem to use it as a method of suicide, as they do the floaty bits of wood (which the use as diving boards into the deadly depths).

Silly Bee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
It is a good idea, and so simple.

I put a washing bowl with oasis in, yesterday I watched bees drinking from an empty icecream carton that had a small puddle of rain water in, a few yards away.

Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
None of my own
My ladies have taken a fancy to diving in our water butt with varying degrees of success. Now there is a sponge wedged in it, most happily use that. Those that dont are unwitting contributers to darwinian improvement (well would have been if gene passing was relevant)

Teemore 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
>20
Rain water is definitely preferred over tap water. (By bees that is!)

Leigh 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Mark 3 version.....water lasts much longer! The earlier one with the sponge dripped away too quickly. This new one is a 20 litre container with a hole cut in the top...oasis is pushed in to the bottom...water gets drawn up the oasis. Seems to do the trick.....I think that is enough faffing about with water containers for a while.

Ed Woods 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I have used a couple of my cats bowls filled with chalk clunch - the clunch absorbs the water and the bees sit on the clunch absorbing the moisture - no drowned bees.

SER 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
There are loads of different water sources around my bees, ponds, troughs etc but they are currently going mad for the water on top of a load of lime mortar we have maturing, I'm sure they know what they are doing but it must be very caustic.

Ed Woods 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just noticed lots of bees feeding on dried chicken poop? Must be after the minerals.

dpearce4 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough

Latest posts