Water Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmonag

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
It is well-known that bees seem to prefer filthy water when foraging. They are always collecting water from a ditch near the hives and also from the potted plants in my garden.
Now that everything is drying up I put out water feeders, which they ignored - until I sprinkled compost into the feeding area. Now they are all over it!

Attachments

• Water Feeder.jpg
    Water Feeder.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
They will only be collecting water if there is insufficient nectar available. Lots of larvae and down to feeding them with honey or after a couple of cold days will prompt extra bees for water collection duties. Generally a sign of one or the other. Now, when did you put out the water?��. Agreed, they prefer warm water to cold.

They have been collecting water from the ditch since early April and have continued to do so every day since then. They have been in the flower pots every day too. So your theory does not hold up.
The feeders have been out for a month or so.

Please yourself, but do try to think about it. If adequate forage, there will be a surplus of water in the hive

I am trying to think about it, but I'm not sure what your point is.

Are you saying I should not be providing water because it says in some book that they don't need it, as there is adaquate forage?

Or... what?

All I know is that the bees were always collecting water from the ditch, or plant pots or my neighbours swimming pool. Now the ditch is dry and my neighbour has commented, so I provide water in feeders amongst the plant pots. I don't care whether they need it or not according to your theory, they take it every day and I will continue to provide them with a water source as long as they want it.

My point was merely that they clearly prefer the feeder water to be contaminated with compost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back