waste sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I am trying to find a source of waste sugar for making syrup and have tried the biscuit maker with no luck. Does anyone have any good ideas as to a industry that might generate waste sugar.

Sorry but I think you won't find waste sugar anywhere if it is waste it is probably contaminated, you could try your local supermarket for a reduction on broken bagged sugar

As sugar is a refined product in the first place I don't think you'll have much luck finding an industry where it's a by product!

you used to be able to get it from biscuit manufacturers as waste when they cleaned out the sugar hoppers but apparently they have to dispose via a licenced waste carrier now or so i am told........

apparently they have to dispose via a licenced waste carrier now or so i am told........

That is apparently correct. I know somebody who lets out a holiday cottage, they were told they had to pay commercial rates for the "household" rubbish to be collected. They said they would take it home and put it out with their own and were told they would need a license to move it.

"Jobs worth" I suspect.

Turn your cottage into a church they don't have to pay as long as they dispose of the rubbish

That is apparently correct. I know somebody who lets out a holiday cottage, they were told they had to pay commercial rates for the "household" rubbish to be collected. They said they would take it home and put it out with their own and were told they would need a license to move it.

"Jobs worth" I suspect.
'lets out a cottage' = trade
waste of any kind created by the 'trade' = trade waste
moving / transporting 'trade waste' = need a waste carriers license

so, not a 'job's worth', but someone aware of the law / regulations regarding trade waste ;)

I am sure the biscuit company could, if they were so inclined, sell it to you as something different than 'waste'. Second hand sugar is not necessarily 'waste' and you would be buying for a purpose, not as a waste collector.

I would think, for instance the precious metals industry are not included for their unused metal 'scrap'!

Place I worked, many years ago, were going to pay to have mercury metal collected as scrap, Amounted to about 5kg, IIRC, and it was eventually sold for a good sum.

I get sugar from a large sweet manufacturer and also at crazy cheap prices from a pig farmer. Last year I bought 100kg for £20

'lets out a cottage' = trade
waste of any kind created by the 'trade' = trade waste
moving / transporting 'trade waste' = need a waste carriers license

so, not a 'job's worth', but someone aware of the law / regulations regarding trade waste ;)

A few points.

Firstly. I am aware of the regs but when it is applied to only one building in a development (and yes the others were let) you begin to wonder.

Second every person living in a buy to let house should therefore be using trade waste to empty their dustbins. House let = trade by your definition.

Third why is anyone at all surprised that the sugar isn't forth coming when presumably the "traders" know the regs as well.

Not quite...Buy to Let is still domestic premise so therefore the occupants pay Council Tax. Holiday Lets are where a property is available for short term letting for over 140 days in a year and then you pay Business Rates rather than Council Tax (hence then having to pay trade waste fees)!

Back