Wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Is it my imagination or do there seem to be quite a number of wasps around already?

Yes, we squished 3 on Sunday in the space of 1/2 an hour!!

It's queen wasps coming out of hibernation looking for new nest sites. But does seem a lot of queens about - result of good summer last year and dry winter. August could be interesting for the bees....

Had 2 queens in kitchen last week while I was making sugar syrup tues and wed. And then found another at apiary site sniffing around the sugarcake that I just took out of a hive they had over winter. Defo queens tho.

Never seen so many queens in my area.
Some years I am a little late with entrance reducers but this year I am going to be ready.

I am already into double figures with the number of queens I have dispatched.

Only need a really cold and/or wet period just before the queen gets the new colony going and many nests will be obliterated. So any forecasts now of potential problems later is just pure fantasy.

Anyhow, only those with weak colonies (later on), or those who take stoopid measures to attract wasps to their apiaries, need be worried. The rest of us can easily cope.

The problem of wasps comes up every year, so what is it that causes the problem? I don't use any traps, try not to drop or leave anything that would attract them. I also leave the entrance block in all year, and never have a problem.

The problem of wasps comes up every year, so what is it that causes the problem? I don't use any traps, try not to drop or leave anything that would attract them. I also leave the entrance block in all year, and never have a problem.

It does. There are two main schools of thought about common wasps (with a few ambivalent0). Some ignore them, some kill them. Personally I don’t care how many wasps there are in the UK but they aren't welcome in or around my corner of England's green and pleasant land despite the claimed benefits or otherwise. Those who disagree are welcomes to their opinions and as many wasps as they like. :)

Back