Wasps still attacking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ITLD

Yes it must be a local thing = and 'Various' a particularly attractive place for wasps. My bees are next to 2 plum trees which have had an exceptionally prolific crop this year. By September the ground was covered in rotting plums but seldom a wasp in sight, similarly my jam jar wasp traps remained almost empty.

Sorry Cazza, that's a common misconception. It's the lack of food that wipes out wasp colonies, not the cold or frost. We've had reports of wasps continuing to raid bee hives right up until the end of January, i.e. well after some very significant frosts.

Noted thanks Karol

ITLD

Yes it must be a local thing = and 'Various' a particularly attractive place for wasps. My bees are next to 2 plum trees which have had an exceptionally prolific crop this year. By September the ground was covered in rotting plums but seldom a wasp in sight, similarly my jam jar wasp traps remained almost empty.

Same, it is almost as though the london wasp was an dangered species this year......long may it continue

Latest posts

Back